The Logging Thread

That's what I figured but still it is amazing to me that 2 places could be so close together yet look so different, and host such different life.

Sweet, my yarder was an old American 68 ton crane. Worked under 188 Washington's too but didn't run that. T birds looked nice

Sweet, my yarder was an old American 68 ton crane. Worked under 188 Washington's too but didn't run that. T birds looked nice

I have only worked around a couple different yarders. The first was a diamond (I think) a small track mounted yarder. It was so much nicer when they bought the 50 because we didn't have to buck near as many trees.

Quite the moonscape there. Any idea if that area has rebounded?

Quite the moonscape there. Any idea if that area has rebounded?

Very slowly. We spent about 2 years in that drainage, mostly on private land and some state land. A lot of it has been replanted but it's such a harsh, dry and hot environment that the trees struggle to grow. There is also a large number of deer and elk in this area that have an impact on new seedlings as well. Of course the brush and the grass is growing back just fine.

Well better some cover than none I would think.

Must be a lot of beautiful country in Central Idaho.

Not the largest diameter tree I ever cut but it is possible the tallest. I never measured it top to stump but I guessed it at about 150' judging by the logs I cut out of it. I sacrificed a couple smaller trees to keep from breaking this one to badly. I quartered them down into the draw so they were spanning the low spot in the ground. Then fell this one over the top of them. I only broke it in 2 different places so I guess it worked out ok.

167.jpg

165.jpg

168.jpg

170.jpg

Nice.
I logged some burnt forest in Idaho 33 years ago, down near Mountain Home.
Sweating and cutting that charred bark sure makes you dirtier than anything else I can think of..

Filthy and I suppose it is hard on a mans lungs. The good part about it is that the fire eliminates a lot of brush.:D

Wow Stig, you've been all over.

That is actually the one vegetable I'm not fond of.

A large beet swung by the top packs quite a wallop.

Back