The Logging Thread

They will be fire wood with some exception Jim. We'll do a few with an Alaskan Mill we made to get some posts and such for projects around here.

And if you ever decide to part with that 93 :/: :D

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Zlnhp1Ku340" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

try this.........

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Zlnhp1Ku340" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Going from a hand operation to mechanized has been quite a process. So much to learn, so much to work on mechanically. It is actually harder on the body than working on the ground, using your muscles, which I prefer.

Irish, I missed this post earlier. I think I know what you mean re the bold print, but not sure, would you splain more?

I think what Pat's saying is your in better health in body and mind as a hand faller then getting out of shape trying to operate a mechanical harvester operation.

I've seen many fat chain smokers sit in a cutter all day with their spine sagged in the seat from poor posture. Hand cutting will rack up mileage on a logger, but so can machinery in a very different way.

I think what Pat's saying is your in better health in body and mind as a hand faller then getting out of shape trying to operate a mechanical harvester operation.

I've seen many fat chain smokers sit in a cutter all day with their spine sagged in the seat from poor posture. Hand cutting will rack up mileage on a logger, but so can machinery in a very different way.

It is an interesting dichotomy I think.

That's always been my impression. !!!
I may be a fat old toad but I can still put 25,000-50,000 BD ft on the ground in 6 1/2 hours if the timber is there and the ground isn't nearly vertical.
If I had spent the last 20 years sitting in a cab pullin levers that would be impossible.

The issue with mechanical is that you have to get production. One load a day doesn't cut it, because parts and fuel are so expensive. So the pressure is always on. A guy with a cable skidder, hand falling, getting a load every couple days can do just as well. If things are going smooth on the mechanical side though, you can really make hay, especially if you don't have big payments.

Well daggum! Just don't do it if you ain't supposed to be....
Easier said then done.ha
Loggers who got into mechanical harvesting had no choice. These guys started out many years earlier with the basics working their prime years with low operating cost chainsaws and line skidders and made a very good living at it.
Times changed most areas in the late 80's and early 90's when they were forced out and had to run eauipment 24-7. Big mills and logging companies didnt want to be fed with out of date practices.
Transition was tough if job opportunities weren't offered to run this new equipment or work at the mill.
Not everyone wanted to have a mid life crisis investing a couple million $ to replace the old skidder.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Myrtle the Turtle pulling fifty footers. We can't seem to rely on anybody to supply us with either logs or timbers, so we had to go logging ourselves.

IMG_20151023_133956714_HDR.jpg

We had an old 2 ton truck in the 80s we called Myrtle the turtle. Old 58 Chevy firewood truck

Ha, so few skidders have tires of that width any mo.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
208 with an aftermarket grapple. It's in great shape. Fresh engine, axles, t case. Just needs chains and a winch

Back