Today I Learned...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Off the Enterprise, at our NAS in Lemoore, it was more like 8 hour days. But at sea it's 12 on, 12 off - 7 to 7. Hell, there's not much to do anyway. Get off, have supper if you haven't already, shower and chill in your bunk or watch some TV for a couple hours. It's 12+ hour days offshore, too.

What did you have to do while you were on duty, Butch? A friend of mine was on the Mauna Loa in the mid to late 60's. He said there were a lot of different watches, but none were 12 hours. He ran the engines. The only one that could change directions without stalling them.:lol:

With the exception of messcooking, a lot of those 12 hours were relatively easy. Messcooking was a BEEYOTCH!!!

Trust me, it sucked. The berthing quarters was right under the messdeck... you only had to climb one flight of stairs to be @ work. I remember being able to sleep with roaches. I bet it's a hole 'nother NAVY now.

Anybody grow medicinal/ gourmet mushrooms on logs/ stumps/ chips?

A guy in Oly sells mushroom plugs through Raintree Nursery in Morton, WA, I believe. I've traded him before, but never gotten around to growing them my self. I thought that it would be a great service to sell for removal of healthy wood of the appropriate species (some hardwoods). I think that you don't want other fungi to have colonized before plugging the stump with the innoculated dowels (spawn).

Sean, it's big time here, growing mushrooms in logs. They sell the plugs, or you can buy the logs already plugged. Oak is the species of log choice. I haven't done it, but it looks easy. You need a shady place and I think need to keep the logs moist. At jobs where we will be cutting Oak, it isn't uncommon to have someone coming around begging fat limbs for that purpose.

Great thread! Learned a lot that I'm sure will help me. Can't wait to get back to the woods and find some chances to put some of this new knowledge into practice. :D

I tried growing oyster shrooms with a plug kit I got online. They said either maple or poplar is ideal. I cut down a poplar out back, cut to 4', made a nice shady spot and inocculated the logs, about 200 holes drilled and doweled then covered with parafin wax....,they said 6 mos. to a year I should get shrooms twice a year at least, more if I soaked them. So far nothing, its been three years! Im hoping some day that little stack of logs will explode with oysters. Fingers still crossed!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Just got here but yeah, cast iron cookware rocks. I have 3 skillets, a griddle pan, 2 dutch ovens, 3 legged tripod / spit and of course, a clanger triangle to call in the troops! Carey the Ontario arborist has quite a collection as well.

A couple of night ago I figured out if you cut those little tags of the cap you can get the top off easy instead of wanting to kill the thing.

I'm not all that focused at bedtime usually so it took me to the second last mouthful to get it. New type cap. :|:

listerine.jpg

Don't have much trouble with things like that but they've got them on everything now. Sometimes I mix some tree poison with kero and sweat, saw dust and poison can be a problem if you're in a hurry, so this is a good idea.

kero.jpg
yates-tree-and-blackberry-killer.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lc2xoTuTQT8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

* Disclaimer: No children visit here, 6ft fences, locked gates. Poison is in locked shed and on site locked in toolbox.

I just tried it. It worked on the "push-down" style, but I don't think it will work on the "squeeze the side" type.

Well, I found this out yesterday, nothing that is going to help me in life but fun none the less.

I knew Jimmy Buffet had performed at my dentists second wedding a year or so ago, but I was watching a old clip of him on Johnny Carson the other day and I mean oldold, like early 80's. I noticed Jimmy had his mustache then and while he was talking I saw his teeth. His teeth looked nothing like they look today, so yesterday while in the dentist chair, I asked Dr. Troxel, did you fix Jimmy Buffet's teeth? He said yes and told me the story.

Ha, I go to the same dentist as Jimmy Buffet!

It's a key's thing!! Best dentist in the islands, and he does not wear shoes in his office.

Ha!

TIL that the easiest way to separate the yolk from the white is to simply crack the egg into your hand and let the white run through your fingers... easy!

Back