Today I Learned...

Yes, the fat vegetarians I witnessed dumping gallons of dressing on their entrees were decidedly NOT loggers, or productive members of society either!

Your salad sounds good. We have a hard time getting any good produce this far north, not to mention good olive oil. I have had good olive oil in my travels, the stuff we get here is an abomination.
Must be why so many people garden up here, I spend all year thinking about garden tomatoes, peas, beans, and such.
I really feel sorry for inner city folks who dont get to experience thy joy of gardening and fresh vegetables.

Yep. After a long winter ( Well, not this year) the first home grown veggies is a true delight.
One of the nice things about living in Europe is the huge variety of regional olive oils available.
There is a huge difference in taste between, say a heavy spanish oil with an overpowering taste of olives and a super light one from Greece ( Crete in particular make some fine ones, perfect for frying potatoes)

Jim, I am not a vegetarian out of health, ethical , religious or all those other reasons.
I simply never could stomach meat/fish/poultry.
Makes me puke.

So I don't eat according to any code, I pretty much eat what I like.

Wow, just the opposite with me...no fruits or veggies...can't gag them down, never could.

I have a friend like that in California.
We can share a meal and have a good time.
He gets the meat, I get the veggies.

Kinda like the story of the two gentlemen who lost legs in the civil war. One guy lost his right leg, the other guy lost his left. Both were a size nine. Every year they bough a pair of shoes.

Not sure if it is true of not, but I like it.

When I was a vegetarian for three years in college (early 20's), I was hungry for three years. Seriously. I was eating alllll the time. Rock climbing 2-4 days a week, riding my bike to class, chasing girls, drinking less than the average college student. It was a joke, half true, that I never stopped eating.

I'm type O+, my body craves meat and protein, my brain craves a nutritious diet.

With a greenhouse you aren't getting rain water, and plants love rain water. Access to creeks or rivers is what is generally the source of water for greenhouses here, and having a very developed system to move water from them. A country with monsoons needs that to keep from floods as well. A big house needs some kind of irrigation system, and they get very hot inside. Some times of the day you don't want to be inside for long, walking in gives a good heat blast. A greenhouse with an automatic ventilation system is the ticket, if you have the dough to enable it.

I agree with you about the rain water, Jay, it's one of the downsides of a greenhouse. Rain water does something good to the soil that any other kind of water just can't seem to do.

As far a vegetarianism goes, I think it's going to vary from person to person. Everyone's body is different and some people will thrive on a vegetarian diet, while others will only feel healthy when eating meat.

What was this thread supposed to be about, anyways? :lol:

Nitrogen baby! A heavy snow pack and long light rains contribute nitrogen. A heavy rain may leach the nitrogen.

You'd probably have to let a couple of cows graze in there for a number of years first.
At least the type of Psilocybe we have here is only found in old cow pastures and where large masses of Elk hang out.

I knew guys that grew mushrooms in California, in garages or other out buildings. Are there other types of psychedelic mushrooms? i think steam was required or some deal, nothing I can recall about cows. It isn't hard to remember, i went to visit a friend unannounced once that was involved in the enterprise, and he had his Rottweiler patrolling the area, and that dog frightened the hell out of me. My friend had told me to always call before coming over. I also heard that growing the mushrooms and being in the room with them, the spores can get into the air and into you, causing a reaction. I don't know if that is really true.

Liberty caps are one other variety, at least a few common, I believe, are psychedelic. Supposedly, McDonalds nearby had liberty caps growing in their mulch.

I don't think you need steam. But I wouldn't know for certain. I do know manure is helpful as a guy scored some aged horse manure off me for his 'hobby'. Apparently he does it in a drawer of his desk in his home study. A friend of my wife's husband. I haven't seen it or nothing. I met him when he came and got his shovel full of manure. An exec type making tall dollars living in a fancy house. Said he just wanted to see if he could do it or not? Never heard how it turned out.

Ahh. Like just done before it's inoculated or whatever the proper term is for planting silly spores.

Just looking at those shrooms is pretty psychedelic, are those little lights on the outside? :lol:

My neighbor had a business growing shitake mushrooms in his greenhouse, the same one that he uses to grow vegees now. He had them growing in plastic cups.

Back