Today I Learned...

Something to build on. Lodge is nice stuff, a good range of pans and other things, and for camping. Amazon has some deals on them every now and then.

Today I learned that a guy can get himself fired for doing what he's told to do. And that theirs something seriously odd about some huge, high dollar safety programs. Like its some kind of sideways corporate espionage, kinda bizzare! Game. And regular guys lively hood hangs on weather you tell the honest truth or just keep your head down and your mouth shut.

It's simple enough - post whatever 'lil titbit of knowledge you may have learned recently that you'd like to share.

Today I learned that seasoned cast iron pans shouldn't be cleaned with soap - only hot water! No wonder they didn't work very well for me in the past - I was removing the seasoned part from the pan.
I had learned this -but just not today:

To season a new cast iron skillet or wok, heat over med-high heat, take an onion- cut in half and rub vigorously the cut side on the cooking vessel.

Allow to cool, then repeat the process two more times.

With a paper towel, apply a small amount of cooking oil to the skillet/wok. Wipe oil dry, put away. And as you said, no soap, just wipe clean with paper towel and water after each use.

Don't be bashful. Use the onion periodically until the cast iron has a thick skin of seasoning.

Make sure you remember that you cooked garlic rich pasta sauce in the iron pan before making pancakes the next time out...
Needs a bit more cleaning.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I remember those 7/12's when I worked offshore. Shifts on the Enterprise were 365/12's always, even more sometimes. Fun stuff!

Rob's son Wyatt works at our local market. He was told to expect only 30 percent over all produce they would normally get. If they get more than 30 percent of what they would normally order, it will be a bonus,

An avocado shortage will not affect me in the slightest. I used to think there was nothing more disgusting than a tomato, then I met an avocado.:barf:

I have not developed a taste for avocado. Cant grow em here anyway.

I am kinda going into nutty survival mode, I plan to grow a big garden this year and teach my self how to can meat and vegetables. I am also looking on the internet for root cellar plans. We are going to fatten some hogs this year and buy some fryer chicks. Plan on growing 100 acres of barley and fatten some steers too. I never go anywhere anyway, I might as well stay home and garden!

I am kinda going into nutty survival mode, I plan to grow a big garden this year and teach my self how to can meat and vegetables. I am also looking on the internet for root cellar plans. We are going to fatten some hogs this year and buy some fryer chicks. Plan on growing 100 acres of barley and fatten some steers too. I never go anywhere anyway, I might as well stay home and garden!

Jim, you might want to check and see if NRCS is still doing their high tunnel greenhouse subsidy program. A high tunnel can extend your growing season for veggies by several months, even year round for the winty hardy greens and whatnot.

Back