"veneer" chuck n duck

I've always seen them as 1600. Don't know about the engine. I have seen them being sold with Ford 300s before.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

You better read thru this thread I gotta feeling.

https://www.masterblasterhome.com/showthread.php?15345-Chipper-pig-in-a-poke&highlight=1200

I haven't updated it yet (my thread)...we have had some serious miseries with this thing (a Vermeer BC1200). We got it running real well at one point, loaned it to my brother-in-law...he is good with all things mechanical so no worries there. It acted up a bit with him and I went to retrieve it (the gas tank developed a split seam, gas leaked down about half way in the tank...he sealed the seam, all seemed OK) We chipped some while I was there...first it shot the discharge chute about 20 feet into the woods...that was a scary sight.

Then it started smoking/steaming, wasn't sure which. I shut it down to find out whazzup...it was steam coming from a hose as I remember it (had thrown a fan belt)...got that calmed down but still had a white smoke around. Looked underneath the thing and the muffler was on fire...some grass underneath caught on fire. So it was both steaming and burning and shooting the chute into the woods all at the same time...like a thing possessed. I have considered an exorcist for it.

We managed to control all that and I left it with him to work with some more. Then on another day when he shut it down at dusk he saw a glow from the feed/knife area...seems the bearings have shifted and were rubbing the side of something.

I went to get it and tow it home. About 10 miles from his house (a 50 mile trip overall) I looked back to see flames following me down the interstate. Pulled over real fast and found out I had blown a tire, tire knocked the fender half off, it was rubbing the tire (I never felt anything unusual, no bouncing, nothing), tire was rubbing the rim...whatever. The tire was on fire!!! All I had was a gallon of water for the tire...luckily it was the tire on opposite side of leaking gas tank. All I could think of was me pouring water on a burning rubber tire when the gas tank decided to explode. Luckily that gallon was enough to put out the fire. By this time passers by had called 911 and a firetruck and sheriff rolled up pretty soon to seem me shaking my head and trying not to cuss too much. They decided all was OK and left. I called my son who scavenged a tire off another trailer and we managed to get it home.

Still needs bearings and an exorcism. Long story short...you probably oughta buy something that has a chance of running right. I got mine for $900, probably already have about $2500 in it. Wish I had spent $4000 and got something more ready to go. This is a BIG thing...unless you know what is SUPPOSED to be part of a system you might not realize it is missing. There should have been a cover for the belts that drive the drum..was not. When we got it running I realized what a super hazard those drive belts are...Alex fabbed up a cover that works well...but it was work that we should not have had to do.

Don't buy a pig in a poke.

Mine has a Ford (300, I think) 6 cylinder...lots of power, scary power. It will snatch a limb a warp speed. Vermeer said mine was a "prototype" with that engine, not the normal engine. I think they said they went to a 4 cylinder for stock system.

Looks like a 1600. It ate fingers off a coworker a while back.

I've thought about getting a self feeding version of that in a 12" variety and running it as an attachment on my track loader.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wonder how much it is worth for scrap.

The engine might not be a bad deal but he doesn't even show that so probably not.

I just found veneer humorous, the guy must have bad eyes.

Back