NWA Cottenwood Takedown

I love em for crane work, but not sure how they would be any better than tying a bowline for time saving purposes in regular tree work. Seems you need a biner if you want to tie/untie quicker than using a bowline

You are right, Cory, it would be a race to see which is quicker, between a bowline and a clevis. I wasn't sure that speed was such a factor. So it takes an extra fifteen seconds or so, a clevis isn't potentially vulnerable like a biner, and I think easier than a running bowling to undo after loading, for guys on the ground. I don't see them completely replacing a biner for that use, but sometimes, like when taking heavier limbs

Guess I have just gotten used to them for lighter applications as well. Pretty regular here. If I had another son, I might name him, "Clevis".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great work Evan. Was there any chance that the tree could have been felled? Or would that have been too high of impact?

Definitely too high of impact. Due to surrounding woods it would have to be fallen parralel/Accross the pipes which are 3-4' diameter pipes you don't want to crack.

I just got a go pro, so I'm pretty excited. It'll take a few tries to get used to, but I'm stoked.

This tree was huge. like 140'+ and 5' DBH + one of the ground crews estimates.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qVPdSPGHnvI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I like this video!

I like my biner for light to medium rigging and just spliced my 5/8,3/4" line to use a 3/4" SS shackle.

Great editing! Good notching too. Sure do miss the tall trees of the north. I've not been higher than 80' since moving here 11 years ago.

Thought that was T00L -I remember when Robert Fripp did some collaborating with them.

. GoPro is the greatest invention of the 21st century! So many useful applications, especially once the lights go down....

Back