Bennington, Vermont, anyone close?

I learned about ZenMate from AdamP if I remember correctly.

think_smiley_28.gif

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
got any pics of your mill?

Sperber mill without the powerhead on. What I needed a part for. I guess the main difference between this mill and others, is that it has the wooden rollers that run against the side of the log and hold the bar at an angle to the log as it passes through, not simply parallel to it. Must be about 30 degrees. Cutting a bit askew I think speeds it up a bit, a not uncommon approach when cutting with the grain with some types of woodwork machinery. It also has aluminum rollers on top, which some people like and some apparently don't. The helper handle allows a single powerhead, or can be removed to have two engines attached. It also has a crank that raises and lowers the rollers to adjust the thickness of the slabs, a nice feature, but I have it disassembled for repair. I added the rubber covered push rail. Sperber Tool Works went on to do other things, and no longer produces mills.

Attachments

• mill1.jpg
    mill1.jpg
    475.1 KB · Views: 33
  • mill2.jpg
    mill2.jpg
    401.8 KB · Views: 33
Something about the camera you use Jay makes everything look like an old Kodachrome photo. A nice timeless feeling.

Interesting comment, Leon. It's an old Nikon D100 interchangeable lens digital. When it came out, I think over ten years ago now, it was highly acclaimed. Might be a few pros still using one for backup. I like it, pretty durable camera.

I have always thought the same thing as Leon about your pictures...they have a special warm quality that is unique...a richness of detail that really comes through.

Lens or camera body, not sure. Probably the body, the lens is high quality Nikon as well, but pretty standard i believe.

You can definitely see why you'd be chasing down parts for it. I'd happily trade the Granberg mill at my house for that. :|:

Cool Jay. Thanks for posting those pics. Do you use anything fancy for rails for your initial cut?

We were milling some boards this afternoon. 2" fir.

Not at all fancy, Justin, but I made some wooden blocks that attach to an aluminum extension ladder, which then allows the ladder to be attached to the log as rails for the initial cut. For real long logs, you could do the cut to the length the ladder allowed, then pull out via the extension to cut more length. Had to prop up the extension when doing that, but it works ok.

Sperber mill without the powerhead on. What I needed a part for. I guess the main difference between this mill and others, is that it has the wooden rollers that run against the side of the log and hold the bar at an angle to the log as it passes through, not simply parallel to it. Must be about 30 degrees. Cutting a bit askew I think speeds it up a bit, a not uncommon approach when cutting with the grain with some types of woodwork machinery. It also has aluminum rollers on top, which some people like and some apparently don't. The helper handle allows a single powerhead, or can be removed to have two engines attached. It also has a crank that raises and lowers the rollers to adjust the thickness of the slabs, a nice feature, but I have it disassembled for repair. I added the rubber covered push rail. Sperber Tool Works went on to do other things, and no longer produces mills.

That is one bad ass work bench! If only it could talk I am sure it could spin a yarn a mile long.

Haha. Rajan, the top is some wood I scavenged from a construction site in Northern California, now many years ago. Saw it sitting there as I drove by, and a carpenter sold it to me for five bucks. It has sailed the Pacific. A few tales, I'm sure. Sometimes I think I should put it through the planer, still the original surface....I dunno.

Back