Bennington, Vermont, anyone close?

woodworkingboy

TreeHouser
I'm trying to contact Bob Sperber, of Sperber Tool Works, on 75 Bowen Road in Bennington. He made my chainsaw mill. He doesn't produce them any longer, but I'm pretty sure is still in business doing other stuff at that location. I have trouble getting to a phone to make an international call during his working hours. He doesn't seem to have a website, but a fax number or email would be very helpful on the odd chance that anyone is close or possibly goes through there. Thanks a lot.

Jay, do you have a Gmail account? If so, you can get signed up with the Google Voice service and then make free calls to the States and Canada using your computer.

The only challenge is that Google Voice is only available to USA users. There are workarounds for this, though. If you're interested I can try to help you out with it.

TreeHouse Regulators! Mount up!!!

101_0155%20(2).JPG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just heading to the shop, Leon, but I will sign up for Google voice tonight.

Looks like a competent crew there, MB.

OK, you will need to use a proxy to fool Google into thinking that you are in the States. The easiest way I know of doing this is to use the Chrome browser, and install an extension called ZenMate ( https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...chrome/fdcgdnkidjaadafnichfpabhfomcebme?hl=en ). Once the extension is installed click on the little shield icon in the upper right hand corner of the browser window. At the bottom left of the little popup click on Change Location. Click on the USA option.

Once that is done, and the little shield icon turns green Google will think you're in the States. Go to this link ( https://www.google.com/tools/dlpage/hangoutplugin ) and install the plugin. Now when you open your gmail page you should have the "Hangouts" interface popping up on the left side. Click the little phone icon in the "New Hangout" box, type in the number you want to dial and hopefully it should work! If this works then you won't need to bother with the Google Voice sign up.

Wow, Leon, I just called the weather report in Indiana! That is so cool. Thanks for the help! A little late to be calling Sperber, but I will try later.

:lol:

Glad you got it working Jay! It's been a real help to me to be able to make free calls back to the States.

I learned about ZenMate from AdamP if I remember correctly. It's also useful if you want to access other US based web services like Netflix, Pandora, etc. that are geographically restricted.

I had to scratch my head a bit on where to click to get some of the software, because people want to sell it to you as well with links to other places, or at least they want card information in order to access the download.

I was able to contact Rob Sperber and get the information I need. The communication method that Leon suggested worked flawlessly. :) Thanks for the thoughts guys.

No, but the place that makes that adjustment belt is still making it, and he gave me their contact. I should be able to obtain one, apparently people have asked Sperber before.

Back