Chip Box Build

Even if it is treated, it can't hurt to throw some exterior penetrating preservative on it and keep it maintained that way. Wood really appreciates the love.

Welcome!

I posted my isuzu nqr in the truck thread. CDX ply works fine. I have a good buddy who works at a lumber yard and he convinced me out of PT ply. He said since its not going to be submerged or in constant moisture, that cdx will last for years. Use a good oil based stain and good to go. I put 30 yards into it the first day.

Thanks! I'm stoked on it for my first chip truck. Decided the natural wood look would be nice. Now for some signs...

Good thread! My brother has been fabricating a new chip box for us with a tubular steel frame, instead of square channel. Looks really good so far. I will get some pictures soon.

Looks good TG. I built a simlar one when I started out. It worked great but I would recommend you add tin/metal sheeting now on the front wall where the chips will be hitting to avoid having to change out the plywood over and over again when it gets chewed thru by flying chips.

A cabover chip truck is what I learned to drive stick in. I loved that truck, it was so easy to drive. I did find out it is meant to stay on pavement, as I about ripped the radiator clean off the truck while trying to get to a dump spot.

2x12s?

Somewhere on the forum is a thread about my steel chip box I built a few years back. Plywood wears out where the chips hit it

Not really the sides jay. The front gets eaten away by layers. Not often you are chipping directly at the sides. Ive never seen a side wear out, just fronts. It'll put healthy dents in steel and aluminum too.

Back