Homemade haas style ascender

Jo, I like that a lot. Your setup will stuff into a ditty bag nicely. The regular type will, but not without a lot of bulk.

Here's mine. You can see the sleeved tube sticking out of the top a little. Totally love it.
myhaas.JPG

I don't get the HAAS using expensive bulky specialty structural material for a non-structural part. I used a piece of elastic cord and a piece of scrap rope for a prussic'ed adjustable foot loop. Compact, and gives me something stretchy to attach my HH tender loop to.

I know, I know...put up the pics. Gotta get to it. My Contour2 is worked out now. I'll just have to use it. Next week.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The big difference for me is that due to the elastic being attached at the bottom there is more cord to stretch. This way you can take bigger strides without the elastic ever going slack. The homemade version was probly under 10 euros in materials if you exclude the petzl basic.

I double the elastic over. No loss of range.

I tied a bunch of overhands up the doubled elastic giving me different clip in points.

All the picture will show is the above mentioned elastic, functionally like this,but not life support http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/big-wall-climbing/nylon-daisy-chain-BD3900120000ALL1.html

A 5mm cord foot loop, effectively a micro DDRT system upside down, comes off the bottom. Super compact and cheap. I cut the handle off a petzl handled ascender and drilled a hole in the bottom for a foot loop attachemnt point.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No worries. Thats quite close to what i used to run. Doubling up the cord didnt help for me as the clip in for the elastic was to low. I use a rw with a hc pulley and clip to the middle hole.

I must have been sleeping when this device was first discussed.
Because I can't for the life of me remember what HAAS is an acronym for?

Porkbrick posted a good system that I've used and adjusted slightly. Anybody have a link? Maybe within the last year, two at most.

Here's mine.

I modified the left ascender that I'd previously put together for Jerry Beranek's doubled rope rope walker system.
https://www.masterblasterhome.com/showthread.php?12847-Double-Line-Rope-Walker

Just needed to shorten the reach from footloop to ascender, and shorten the bungee. I used the shorter utility cord loop that is prusik'ed to the standing end of my climb line in Jer's system to swap out for the longer one between the footloop and ascender, and just looped through and girth cinched the bungee to shorten it to 1/3 of the length of the original.

This way, I can easily switch back and forth to use the ascender in the doubled rope system, and the SRT HAAS.

First pic is the foot ascender as set for Jer's DRT ropewalker, and the second one is the re-configured arrangement for SRT HAAS.

Attachments

• HAAS 002.jpg
    HAAS 002.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 150
  • HAAS 001.jpg
    HAAS 001.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 150
Welcome, Haasender. You are truly an excellent innovator. Some very savvy tree guys here have embraced your idea and run with it. Very cool to watch how these new ideas develop and spread.

asc.jpg

Here is mine.

I can connect the new (mini) croll into my micro frog setup via a crab, so in a way it is modular. Very compact and fits into the combat pocket on the chainsaw strides. BTW i changed the small black keyring for a dmm sentinel. The rest were bits I had laid about.

I first set something up after seeing the DLRW a few years ago then totally forgot about it. I used to ascend SRT with ascenders and sometime a hand ascender connected to the Rope wrench. But with all the hoo-haa about taking a fall on ascenders and the possibility of stripping the cover of DB rope, I decided to make a new one up.

Thanks to Michael for giving me the inspiration, you certainly shot up that 75 foot ascent on your youtube vid. ;)

Well.. Here is my prototype number 2
I did one with the Pantin foot ascender with some adaptation. I wanted something less Frankenstein...
So I took a Croll and refined some stuff. Still working on it. I want a longer stride like I am used to with my Frog Walker system. Features the Ropetek HH.
You get the idea.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tTBRd6StvLI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cool. I don't particularly like foot loops for myself. Why I went with the stiff step never falls off.
Yours looks real nice though :)
I also tried to splice in the bungee and decided I am still not all that with splicing stuff :lol:

Stephen, you have long legs on your hitch, from the looks, with some distortion. Why so? Doesn't it give more sit back?

Back