Vermeer 1250 bearings AGAIN.

Tucker943

Bamboo Plantation Owner
We talked about this before but I cant find the thread. Before I order from Vermeer, does anyone know a way I can figure out how to price the bearings from a bearing shop? I cant rip into the chipper and then buy bearings. I need to have parts before I start for obvious reasons. I want to see about pricing them through a shop because Vermeer is always high priced on their parts. Anyone have any ideas? Its an old 1250. Like an 88.

I wish I could be of more help but i have never been around a chipper. Flange size is kind of standard, but of course numbers on the dust cover or race would be the best way. Most bearings are made by just a few companies. Of course, if the bearing is driven into blind hole the race could be any size, but would be a few thousandths larger than the hole, again no problem for a good shop.

I agree with Reddog, if you can find the diameter of the hole or measure the flange and the shaft size a good shop should have no problem. Good luck.

If you wanted to be sneaky, ask to see the bearings if the vermeer shop has them on hand. Copy the numbers and get them from some place else if the price difference is great. Its only business. :)

I deal with bearings for all sort of equipment day in and day out, can you post a picture of the bearing? I could give you a description that would help you deal with a bearing shop, or a picture of how it mounts? Perhaps from a parts breakdown?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Vermeer quoted 157 plus shipping per bearing. There's 2 there obviously. Now, Its not going to bankrupt me, but Im doing an overhaul on the whole chipper. So wherever I can shave the cost down, the better off I will be. Im doing new knives, new disc bearings, new spindle(don't think I can get that aftermarket can I?), new feed roller bushing, new tire on one side, new fluids (oil, coolant, hydraulic), and a paint job. That way I go into the busy season on a good note with the chipper ready to rock. Anywhere I can save a few bucks, I'd like to.

Its not a great chipper but there's other things higher on my priority list so I am going to run it out for awhile longer. Its not a bad chipper really. Just not an animal.

Al, here's what I have. Does this work? This is the email from Vermeer for my parts.

2- 83313001 Bearings $152.03 each

1- 79161001 Shaft $354.03

1- 581001 Keyway $8.05

1- 153929001 Bushing $42.30

I don know if the spindle is even bad. I'll know when I open it up.

Shipping it out and waiting for it to return isn't ideal. Its best I have parts in a box and ready. Im using a friends garage for this task. he has the tools and toys.

$157 is not a bad price for bearings. Most bearing suppliers will only need the shaft dia and flange bolt pattern to supply alternatives. Watch out for cheap Chinese copies though. I would sooner pay more for a quality SKF or similar. I actually like those 1250's, for residential treework they are a great chipper, the large horizontal rollers are great for bushy material.
Look at putting new springs on the infeed and possibly replacing the hydraulic motors.

$157 per bearing through Vermeer means less anywhere else. Vermeer jams it up my ass. 87 dollars for a dipstick. They are brutal. I just want to shop it out. Vermeer isn't making bearings, yet Ill pay a premium for those outsourced bearings to come in a box from Vermeer. If I can get quality bearings for less, I want to. The move I save, the better. You know the game....

It's not difficult to repair a worn shaft, I often repair worn shafts at my day job, a cool MIG weld and dimension in a lathe. I am not familiar with the bearings used, however if they are a self aligning flange type, if the housing is good, just the bearing can be replaced, reducing costs.

I can't do much with the OEM parts numbers .I'd about need the shaft size ,style ,flange bolt dimensions etc .

The OEM could be a number of companies like SKF ,Morse, INA ,Dodge .I wouldn't think Vermeer would go to all the trouble that for example Stihl might go to to insure they controlled all the repair parts had to go through them . Unless that is the Germans got a piece of Vermeer then anything is possible .

The Germans are the only bunch that pull those stunts .It might work in dealing with the general public but a big multi national corperation like where I work it will bite them squarely in the buttocks if they get shitty about it .I've seen hundreds of thousands of dollars spent to prove a point and the end results worked better than the original designs .

Im going to pull a bearing and take it to the local bearing dealers.

Check with these guys:

http://www.applied.com/

Product Pricing and Availability - call 877-279-2799

They are:

Applied Industrial Technologies
Corporate Headquarters
1 Applied Plaza
Cleveland, OH 44115
216-426-4000
appliedindustrial@applied.com

and it says this one is 17.5 miles from Clark's Summit:

Locations near Clarks Summit, PA 18411, USA

A 2140 Wilkes-Barre(Satellite of 0154, 17.2 miles
303 Laird St, Wilkes Barre, PA 18702
Phone: (570) 823-2142 Fax: (570) 823-3330
sc0140@applied.com

They took my wheel bearings from my 1949 IH pickup and found a perfect replacement within a few minutes...in stock at the local warehouse near me. They seem to really have their act together in taking specs and finding what you need.

I'll be contacting them when I take my Vermeer 1200 apart.

$157 per bearing through Vermeer means less anywhere else. Vermeer jams it up my ass. 87 dollars for a dipstick.....

Got caught with the dipstick scam as well from Vermeer. I was running into the same thing with New Holland on a backhoe I bought with a POS Iveco engine. I'm in the process of replacing that with a Perkins.

Back