Need help getting a title for a trailer

PCTREE

Treehouser
OK so I bought a dump trailer and turns out it doesn't have a title. Virginia DMV won't issue another title for said trailer so I cannot get tags. Somebody has told me that in some states the only thing you need to get a title is a bill of sale, thinking maybe Maine. Anybody live in a state that you can do this and would be willing to help out??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here for a home built trailer the state troopers have to check it out........ Could grind off the VIN but my days of that kinda murlarke are over..

Its not a lost title there just isn't a title.

Just call it "Sir". Colorado titles everything in sight. If you KNOW it isn't stolen then there are some states do BoS and somebody could make one up.

Here for a home built trailer the state troopers have to check it out........ Could grind off the VIN but my days of that kinda murlarke are over.

I guess things are a bit different up here - to get plates and registration for a home built trailer, you just need a description / photo, dimensions, and weight. Unless that has changed.
By the look of some of the trailers I see going down the road, I wonder how on earth they ever got plates in the first place.

Maine needs a title if over a certain gvw, unless its older than 1994.

Reg. in maine as homemade.

I use mbi trailers.... Mainetrailerregistrations.com

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I talked to them today B , they said if it weighed less than 3000lbs unloaded they could get a registration and tags without a title , Im sure its over 3000 but if I told them it was 2750 and I wanted it tagged for 14000 I wonder if that would fly.....

Might cut off the front metal storage box with the hydraulics in it and make a wooden one and make a few more home mods like a hydraulic jack and then get a maine homebuilt tag...

It is pretty beet up, maybe I could call it a 1993 year.... Hmmm

Vermont no title reg is easy. You need not even live there as I've been informed via motorcycle guys here. Vin check to verify not stolen signed by law enforcement. Good for anything ten years old or older. Should you need a address ect I still have one there and the forms needed on pdf files I could send.
Post is old so maybe you already have it sorted.

Paul, there are title services in other states that will get you a title in their state with BOS, sometimes just an affidavit from you. Then, just transfer the title to VA. I did that for an antique truck I bought about 25 years ago - $50, done. You can probably find links on the net, now.

I bought a motorcycle with 140 miles. It was never reg'd, 1985. It was like a teaching bike for the school. Im wondering if i can do something like that, jack. Its a 1985 and no title. I paid a hundo for it and it sits in the basement. Wish i can do something with it, aka sell it for a profit.

For both of you you need not be a resident as seen here. The Vin verification done on the form will also have to be validated by a letterhead from law enforcement stating credentials.
I'm sure this is just to verify Vin was checked via law enforcement credible to do so. Sheriff or state PD best.
B, this may not apply to you if the motorcycle is under 500cc
And what is it I want to know;) 140 miles its still brand new!
http://dmv.vermont.gov/help#REG_Resident_to_register
And the pdf's both the application and instructions, scroll down to registrations and the two are in bold.
All the best Joel
http://dmv.vermont.gov/forms/drivers#registration

In Ohio all it needs is a weight slip .The only things that need titles are road worthy motor vehicles that move under their own power ,trucks,cars etc .

Joel,

Its a honda rebel, 250 cc. Im a honda lover, and could not see it sit there. Chicks bike, but clean and runs great none the less.

Back