Homemade sauerkraut

You're not suppossed to drink whiskey and eat pickled eggs .They go better with beer and sardines .

Might I also add commodity cheese to your list. It goes splendidly with eggs and beer. Never seen sardines in the bars here, but it sounds good.
The treat here used to be raw hamburger with onions and crackers. The bartenders used to set out a big plate of it along with raw eggs for your beer.

By commodity cheese, do you mean processed cheese? That stuff is actually quite good smoked. It's cheap and it doesn't easily melt in the smoking stove. :/:

What about a Century egg? You know, the ones that are buried and such? The yolk turns green and the white turns black. I would have a hard time trying one of those.

Those are popular here in Hong Kong. It took a while before I got around to trying them, but once I did I was pleasantly surprised. Pretty tasty. The consistency of the white is pretty strange though, sort of like jello.

I think price as the worst of all the fermented foods will have to be awarded Hakarl, the fermented basking shark that Icelanders eat when they really want to feel like Icelanders.
Interesting how something that was originally made out of bitter necessity and washed down with plenty of schnapps in order to be able to eat it at all, can turn into a national dish.

Given the choice between eating dead fermented shark or starving must have been pretty tough.

I have 2 or 3 five gallon crocks and over 150 glass 1 gallon jars.. Developed a unique system for fermenting and was looking at commercial kitchen space last winter. Got busy this spring and haven't been making much lately.. I know the holisitci health crowd has been championing the health benefits of fermented foods since the 70's, but i never knew JUST HOW GOOD it is until I started doing some research last winter. My new belief is that the abscence of live culture fermented foods in the modern diet is responsible for a great deal of the health issues faced in this culture..

Back