Break-Test Video

So 6k lbs? That's a sweet machine.

What is that swivel rated for?

You figure wear and tear accounts for the difference?

And even so, it's nice to see a piece whose job is to bear a climber's weight break at such a huge amount of force.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
We will actually offer anyone a considerable discount off of a replacement item if they send an old beat up one in for us to test. Within reason of course!

I would like to see a green dmm ring tested.
I have a trust issue with mine and removed it from service.

TreeStuff owns it and I have keys to the building so...

:) Its obviously not mine. Its a real privilege though to have it available. I have wondered countless times 'what will this hold like this', or 'how strong is this', 'I bet this will hold'... Now I just run over to the break machine and figure it out. Its not a huge machine but it will figure anything I need it to.

I broke some of my rock climbing rope at 2200 lbs with a figure 8... we got 2600 with a sewn termination. I cut a 90' length and had Phil use the machine to bartack the end down like a tree motion bridge... Permanent rope finish for a nice short gym climbing line. :)

I had Northwest Labs in Seattle break test a rope I had hanging in a tree for 18 years. One side of the rope was picked from UV where the sun hit it. Was a half inch line, but it had absorbed moisture and swelled up to about 5/8's size in places, and in the shady parts of the tree it was growing moss. Perfect for a test, I though.

The line was originally rated for 6,000 lb and broke at 3600. Not bad considering hanging in the elements all those years. I never would have trusted it, but after the test I thought, if it come down to it in a pinch, I would.

Break tests are way cool.

I burned up a sterling rit cord in one day...want it?

Piles of old shit...to test.....forget that, come to NC and let's go rock climbing............

Was that Blaze climbing line on the left side of the swivel? It was interesting to see that it held to at least 6k when doubled over a thin piece of metal.

Ok, this is wacky. But you have the machine at your disposal, so why not. I would love to see what the breaking strength is of a full roll of masking tape:D. Ya know, try to pull it apart as if it were a steel ring. If you tie it off in a favorable, load-spreading manner (like with hardware that would be square with the flat inside surfaces of the roll) I bet it would hold 1000 lbs.

Any interest, Nick?

Lets meet in the Red River Gorge! If you send it to me I will break it and let you know.

I try and avoid sport climbing.....the red is cool though....climbed ther e a couple of times. I like placing gear.

No biggie on break test.....

Back