Goin' Gluten Free

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lo and behold... I have been doing this long enough that now even drinking one Microbrew type of beer will screw me up. I can get away with a couple of crappy Bud Light's but that is about it. I am getting rid of my entire homebrewing system as well. I have it set up sweet too, with 3 taps in the fridge and capable of holding 20 gallons of beer. But alas... all good things come to an end. I really don't miss it all that much. I was slowing down my alcohol intake even before I had to cut gluten from my diet. :)

Gary

Oy... I have had enough Tequila through my liver to float a small ship... :lol: I'll pass my friend.

If drinking doesn't agree with you, no sense forcing it.

Yup... I can drink wine, but... blech... The occasional light beer or 2 will be fine for me.

I can still drink anything I want, when I want... I just pay for it the next day by riding the toilet all day. Sounds fun huh? :lol:

Gary

Not sure if I posted it before, but bread made from rice flour can be very good, if you can find it. No gluten in rice, also from which sake is made.

I use brown rice flour a lot Jay. It works quite well. :) Also potato flour, tapioca flour, cornstarch and arrowroot.

Steve... I have tried almost every gluten free beer available... they taste like shit. Worse than shitty Bud Light. They all have a weird after taste. They use Sorghum as their main grain source, and maybe that put the off aftertaste in the beer.

Gary

not much advice to add G, do what you gotta do. guess the growlers you have at the ready will be going to the recycle bin?

Well that is still recycling but in a more personal way. :) I have tried GF pizza and one brand of GF pasta, I cant say they were great but if'n you don't have the choice, make the best of it! One of our family friends and one of my bosses at work are celiac, its tough to find grub around the house when they visit. I usually start them in with lots of sangria and fruit lol

Believe it or not, Domino's offers gluten free pizza crust. It only comes in 10" and is 3 bucks more expensive. But when you're on this stupid diet, and hankerin' for a hunk of pizza... it's actually not all that bad.

One thing about thois diet is that our food bill has gone up by more than a third. There are more items coming out all the time that are gluten free. But there are some of the old stanbys like Corn Chex and Rice Chex that have always been without gluten. There are also some better breads coming out as well. Most gluten free loaves of bread are about the size of your foot, and about as dense too. :lol:

Gary

My wife has Celiac's . When we first met I thought the GF was a bunch of hogwash. Well, to someone who truly has Celiac's it is real!

We make our own hard cider and now I drink little to no beer, but drink a lot of hard cider. Angry Orchard Iceman is good. Eating out is very challenging. We finally found a local pizza joint that has a real good GF crust at NO extra charge!

She has outlawed bread as I know it in the house....

Ive been doing the no gluten thing too, yeah its a pain but seems to cause less inflammation.

Back