Goin' Gluten Free

I was just reading about that subject, a study that shows that middle aged men that consume more than two and a half alcoholic drinks per day, could very well have speeded up memory loss. Certainly no inference intended. :)

Hell, I don't even know what gluten is, but suddenly it's the big buzz.

Back when I was burning 6000 calories a day I really don't think it mattered much. Maybe now it does, though. I really don't know.

GMO wheat is suspected as a problem. I've heard (through the grapevine) that someone could eat European bread but not American.

Gluten is a protein that some people are sensitive to (Amy and Dahlia included), giving a lot of digestive issues.

I went to the naturopath doctor today. He was saying that 60% of the immune system is in the gut.

Peoples food or 'food' and digestive health are all screwed up. Antibiotics are part to blame on disturbed guts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
One thing my doc said is that I would be suprised at the amount of cats that are goin' gluten free, or gluten reduced diets. He was right. A lot more cats are doin' it than I expected.

As far as beer goes... Even bud has amounts of malted barley. The rice is used to add fermentable sugars and starches but provide no flavor or color to the beer. That's whay American style Light Lagers are so pale yellow and flavorless.

I brew my own beer (I should prolly start another thread on it. Butch likes new threads :) ), and there are products on the market where I can brew with regular malted barley and also make it ALMOST gluten free. Which is good for me, since I only have an intolerance to it, and not an allergy to it. A normal American style Light Lager only has about 3 ppm of gluten per 12 oz. in it anyway. An American style Pale Ale has maybe 8 ppm gluten per 12 oz. So unless you have a serious allergy to it... you can pretty much drink any beer.

Even Oatmeal can have trace amounts of gluten in it. Mainly because most oatmeal is processed in plants where wheat flour is made. So most Celiacs can't eat oatmeal. I am fine with oatmeal. It's what I now use for a binder in my meatloaf recipie instead of bread crumbs. :)

I'm gonna have to try the salt thing. My wife and I bought some Hawaiian Volcanic Sea salt in Maui when we got married and brought it home. Might have to switch over to that instead of the stuff from Morton (table salt)

:) :) :)

Gary

GMO wheat is suspected as a problem. I've heard (through the grapevine) that someone could eat European bread but not American.

Gluten is a protein that some people are sensitive to (Amy and Dahlia included), giving a lot of digestive issues.

I went to the naturopath doctor today. He was saying that 60% of the immune system is in the gut.

Peoples food or 'food' and digestive health are all screwed up. Antibiotics are part to blame on disturbed guts.

That wheat is grown in a small area of Italy, if I'm not mistaken up in the NE corner. But it's funny when I was over in Italy in 2002, the Italian's like to brag they use imported Manitoba wheat ,I guess what sounds good sells good. ha.

I just talked to my brother inlaw who is a naturopathic doctor and he says the rare Italian wheat is not gluten free but lower then what we're getting. Also Bud beer has lower gluten because of the rice added.

Morton Fuller wouldn't like this salt talk. "Morton" salt. He lives up the road from me. Big castle on an estate with a private lake. Spends 120k at a time on tree work. Ive done work on his estate (not 120k worth, that's for sure). He is never around. Always hunting in Africa.

You can get Great Salt Lake salt, too.

Mormon salt, not Morton salt. Used to have this when I lived in Utah for 6 months (before getting outta Dodge to CO, weird state).

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/realsalt_real_salt_sea_salt_coarse_seasalt.aspx
"Does RealSalt come from Utah's Great Salt Lake? NO! RealSalt does NOT come from Utah's Great Salt Lake. RealSalt comes from an ancient salt deposit near the small town of Redmond, Utah, about 200 miles south of the Great Salt Lake. "

Yeah, that is what i read about the subject too. Looks horrible.

Tef is actually being considered as a viable crop in my area. I think the idea is to process it locally to keep prices down and expose people to a viable alternative to wheat. If the demand is there farmers will grow it( as long as they can pay the bills) and folks will be able to eat like they used to, to a certain extent.

It used to be widespread in the mountaneous countries in central Europe. Countries like Austria and Switzerland.
I believe the Swiss were the first to iodinize their salt.

Tasmania is GMO free, my celiac friend still can't eat the bread.

Wouldn't sea salt have iodine already? I seem to recall that seaweed is high in iodine, I could be completely off the chart on this one.

Back