Does Anyone Need Any Gear?

Yes, my lower straps are Buckingham 26". I have tried everything, without a wrap the left one inevitably pops off and works towards my heel.
With the Climb RIghts, they are quite clunky and with a wrap its all I can do to pull two holes through, on my Bashlins there is enough slack...but they are in a different country, I'm using the Climb Rights in Tas and it's IRRITATING!

Fiona, Measured my Bashlin straps today and the factory replacements are 23 inches, Bailey’s replacements are 21.5 in., Sierra Moreno Mercantile 22 in.. Seems like at 26 inches your Buckinghams are already way ahead of the average.

If I were going to do a work around to get a longer strap(s) I would consider using tubular sling material/webbing. Cut to length or leave extra, heat up a nail to red hot to pierce holes, possibly bigger nail for mounting rivets, smaller nail for adjusting holes.

Holes will tend to fray on the quicker side. The more careful you can be when adjusting the buckle the better and then maybe just re-melt holes every so often to make them last longer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
LOL.. Dont overdo it butch! :lol:

OK, I won't!

54546-Cheers-Toast-gif-OLQT.gif

The next big area of contention is small spikes or big spikes? Now, in my opinion, that depends on the average bark thickness on the trees in your area, but this is a topic of some debate...

I've been using gecko's with short pole gaffs for a while and they are great for most trees. However, we've been climbing a lot of eucalyptus robusta lately and the bark is just too thick for these gaffs to have any traction at all. I've been looking at buying another set of spikes for thicker bark trees especially considering a move to nor cal with fir and redwoods common.

I'm debating between the carbon fiber geckos with long gaffs or the velcro wrap super pads with insert and titanium buckingham both about 500 but the carbon fibers are significantly lighter.

jp:D

The carbons are wonderful.
My old steel Kleins fit my legs better, but the weightlesssness of the Carbons more than make up for that.

Everyone that has owned a pair seems to rave about them, I remember butch not being too stoked on his if I recall correctly...

jp:D

Hey guys, I just wanted to share an experience I had W/ Luke and Treestuff.com

So earlier this winter I ordered a 150' 9/16 rigging line. Used it a few times, great rope. Two days ago I'm cleaning the sawdust out of my rope bags, and I noticed that the 9/16 line pile looked a little small next to the half inch sitting next to it, both supposed to be 150'. Lined them out together and the 9/16 was indeed shorter by 30'.

Now this is a line I've used half a dozen times, and have had for months. I just never noticed that it was 30' shorter than it was supposed to be. . . So I dropped Luke an e-mail, explaining things. The very next day I get a response explaining the mix-up, AND he issued me a full refund on the cost of the rope! I was blown away! He didn't even ask for the proof (said I'd send him pictures). This is simply amazing customer service!!

So Luke, and crew, my hats off to you sir. We'll be getting our polyester and nylon from you exclusively from now on!

I placed an order for a new block I've been eyeing the very next day (heck I guess it was the same day)! haha

Last edited:
Trust is a great thing, not letting the bad people that bs spoil it for the others. Nice going to TreeStuff.

....well now , just placed my first order.Awesome service ! ....look for me rocking a HH , new throw line , and Harrison throw bag. Friendly service AND a discount !!!

I just placed my first order last week and it was on my doorstep in a day and a half. Great service and delivery. Next order going in next week.

I got my second order this past monday, 100ft of 1/2 inch tenex and a medium rigging ring, got a pair of free gloves as well... pretty fast service to Ontario, reasonable shipping too....
I wonder what's the next order? hmmmm

......."Does anyone need any gear"....???
HA. I think i would probably be better off listing what i have, and having replies to THAT as to what gear i might still need.
Although, I am a beginning rec climber, so all i really "need", i already have. (Rope, a harness,and a biner)
But at 6'1"-230, and a couple ticks over 40 years of age, any and ALL suggestions as to efficiently haul my big carcass up my tree safely, and descending when i catch my breath.

Also i would like to say Thank You to all the "TreeStaffers" for being understanding and patient with me when i was having all the problems with my order.

Let me begin with saying hello to everyone on this forum.
My name is Steve. Last name is Vineyard. Married to a beautiful woman that saved my life. We have 2 beautiful girls together. One is 6 years of age, and other is almost 8 years of age. They are my world, as I am theirs, and they tell and show me, which is an indescribable feeling of peace and Love.
I just recently lost my father to Liver Cancer, and He is the reason I'm starting to climb.
I always had a passion for heights and am extremely meticulous when it comes to doing anything that could possibly leave my kids without a father.
I have been called crazy, fearless, stupid, and a few more incorrect verbs, but I have a STRONG belief, that if you do all you can to prepare your mind with knowledge and have a SAFE-MIND-SET, that all those verbs, is just them not knowing all the details.
Anyhow.....

I am GOING to do what i love, pass on the knowledge i gain to my girls, and god willing, to their kids, so we can maybe turn around Mother Earth and she will reward future generations with all her beauty.

Thats about it for me. Hope everyone has a good Holiday.

Vin

Back