optimal climbing weight

In two months I'll be 58. I am 6' 0" tall. I weigh between 164 and 168.

At the end of High School I weighed about 110 pounds (and was on meds for gut pain all day every day).
Over the next ten years I varied from about 100 up to 125. This is when I climbed a lot, though at times I had little or no energy.

When I was 28 I started losing weight and none of the docs could figure it out, telling me if I continued at the rate I was losing I'd be dead in a month or two.
Then I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease at 29 years old, stopped eating gluten and gained weight, plateauing at 164 pounds.

The next six years were my most productive in the trees.
When I went back to school for the Nursing degree, worked ICU Trauma Unit and Hospice Nursing I drove everywhere, ate, and slept, and got up to 183 pounds.
I still contract climbed part time throughout my Nursing career, but was happier in the bucket and hanging off a crane than limbwalking the tips.

In 2007 I 'retired' from Nursing, stopped eating carbs, got back on a bicycle, got back to 164 pounds and then rode across the country.

Now with a BMI of about 22 I feel pretty good and enjoy climbing.

You can check out your Body Mass Index (BMI) here:

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/BMI/bmicalc.htm

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Me too - if you'd told me I'd be where I am now I'd have laughed at you. Couldn't be happier!!!

I know my BF% its 5.2 . Meg was on me about my cholesterol and nitrates and acids and good stuff and bad stuff etc. I refused to get the blood work done of course, because I was sure with my diet she was right. After the results of the blood work showed that all the numbers were good I was surprised. I asked them if there was anything I needed to change to make the numbers better, they were kind of upset because they had given me this big speech about my diet and lifestyle and assured me that the tests would 'show me' how it was all catching up, warning signs and what not... Turns out they were wrong.

I'll be 56 in a couple of weeks and give credit to my 6 year old twins and 10 year old daughters for keeping me young......someone has to protect them as they're growing up right?
I'm a tad under 6 ft (shrinkage) and 195 lbs, was average 210 - 215 but since my gluten and dairy free diet has done wonders for me.
I workout in my home gym 3 times a week doing just pullups and deadlifts for high reps plus lots of crunches and hanging knee raises.
My ideal weight when I was a 30 year old timber faller was 180. That's my goal today.
When I did a lot of footlocking in my early arb work days I did less time in the gym.

Willard,

How many pull-ups can you do? Fresh one shot on the bar to failure? And or in a given day/session/time?
Nick, I only do 3 sets with 2 to 5 minutes rest between. At 10, 8 , 7 right now. Always happy with 3-10s
One shot to failure in the playground on the monkey bars I've done 15-20 full extension to the upper chest..
In my earlier days a 45 lb plate on my waist......but I was nuts then:D

... I refused to get the blood work done of course, because I was sure with my diet she was right...

No disrespect to Meg or doctors in general but most medical doctors don't know squat about proper nutrition. Be that as it may youth and genetics can compensate for some horrendous lifestyle choices. Doing things right now could make a substantial impact on the quality of your life in later years. Trust me on this one, Nick.

David

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
As being a medical professional as my first career I can speak to BMI charts. Most of those charts were made at the end of WW II when body types were different. I was at 26 went down to 19 and am sitting happily at 20 now. I can say 20 is much better than 26. BMI is NOT the be all.

Pay a naturopathic doctor a visit and get setup on a dairy/ gluten free diet program.
I should have started mine 20 yrs ago.

I could never give up my egg whites or cheeses. I gave up bread and milk a long time ago.
Eggs are actually part of the dairy-gluten free diet .
My doctor told me there is a area in Italy that still produces wheat crops that are still grown the old way without the modified high gluten index.and is reommended for gluten free lifestyles

People say this diet is expensive but when you factor in all the pizza, dairy products etc you avoid your not spending anymore money, even less if you cook from scratch and buy by bulk.

BMI is BS, wanna know if you're fat, look in the mirror.

I have always stuck to the old " if you can pinch an inch".
I weigh the same now as I did when I was 20.
And I can't pionch an inch.

Stig ... Good for you.
I agree my 6 yr old twins just got their yellow belts in Karate and I see there is not that much cardio in karate.
They are getting their main cardio workout with their 3 times a week ballet lessons, I believe Stig is getting his main cardio with his treework........but I might be wrong:/:

Back