Splicing Tips

mardenm

TreeHouser
Don't know if this has been done before, but I would love to hear tips for splicing other people use. Here are some that I use:

Tip #1 Using 7" double-point knitting needles for isolation:
I find that these work quite well to isolate portions of the rope for the following things while making splices.

1- Pick up some 1" painters tape. This works great for taping and is very easy to remove.
2- You can use 2 needles to pry the cover apart to help expose the core for extraction. First insert one needle between the cover and the core in one direction and the other needle in the other direction. Then rotate the needles until the core becomes exposed.
3- After you extract the core and milk the cover all the way back, place a pin at the extraction point so the core will stay exposed and not slide back into the cover.
4- When you thread the cover from through the core and back out again, place a pin at the extraction point so the cover will stay exposed while you make the taper
5- After you insert the cover into the core and then taper the cover, wrap the tail of the cover with some tape, then place a pin through the cover just above the tape and through the core to prevent the cover from accidentally getting buried while you work on the next step of threading the core back into the cover at the crossover point.

Michael

Attachments

• _DSC6248.jpg
    _DSC6248.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 114
  • _DSC6250.jpg
    _DSC6250.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 113
  • _DSC6256.jpg
    _DSC6256.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 112
  • _DSC6259.jpg
    _DSC6259.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 111
Yeah, good thread. Surprisingly, since I have only done a hand full of splices on three strand, I may yet have something to contribute. When sewing on rope or heavy material or doing the through passes while whipping an end I use a piece of rubber tubbing acquired from a nurse friend years ago to pull the needle out of the material rather than pliers. I had noticed that pliers scuffed the needle and made the next sewing harder.

Recently stopped by a big pharmacy chain and then a medical supplier trying to locate more of that “tubbing” to offer to splicers not familiar with benefits of same. They didn’t have any and my description of it being what I think you would use to tie around your arm to get a vein up for an injection didn’t seem to be helping my cause at all.

It is thin tubbing maybe three times as thick as a latex glove, about the same grippyness as latex, maybe made out of latex - or rubber, about 1.5 inches wide laying flat and buckskin or close in color.

Try the slingshot forums...they list sources of many different type of rubber bands...flat, tubing, etc.

I got latex tubing from McMaster-Carr for my slingshots.

Those knitting needles in that rope make it look like you are dissecting a snake.
Carry on...

Wire fids. I use 1.5mm welding filler rods on tough cross overs I put it in the vice.

I have rods marked out with the different measurements I need.

Laminated instructions in a ringbinder.

Back