Anyone in a band or play an instrument?

I've managed to become needed on the guitar and fiddle;)

It's all good...you think finding competent, sane tree guys is a challenge? Try musicians...:lol:

He gets fired and tells the guitar player if we practice real hard and come up to his standards to call him back and he might audition us to play with again...holy crap! I 'bout fell out of my chair laughing when I heard this...I've been teaching him bass lines for a couple weeks now, and he is totally tone deaf when he sings (but insists on singing)...Next!

Good luck. Sam Bush I know is highly regarded. He seems a different cut from most bluegrass mandolin players, I think has some rock and roll in him too.
Are you a Marty Stuart fan, just curious? I have an early cd of his which I like a lot. Flamboyant I guess could be said, and marrying his idol. As a kid playing with the much older and I presume much respected musicians, must have been cool.

Yeah, I like Marty and have played quite a bit of his music over the years. Saw him the first time as a teenager playing for Lester Flatt in 1975. He was awesome then...I think he was 14.

Sam can play a lot of different genres, he is also a great fiddler who has won many big contests when younger. Talented guitar player also. He is very much a pioneer in the music industry.

I don't know if you liked his music, but I met Gram Parsons once at his home in Laurel Canyon, it wasn't long before he died. He was intoxicated at the time, yet seemed an unpretentious very nice guy. i was playing a little guitar and he genuinely took the time to ask me what I was into and chat a bit. Never forget that. I also got a real weird vibe from some younger guys over there at his home and holding guitars, real snotty like who was i to even talk about a guitar. Very different from Gram. I'm sure Gram could have done a lot more with his life in a good way had he been in a better situation and it lasted longer. That being a nice guy part was often said about him after he passed.

Yes cool story. He did and wrote some great stuff.

I knew Hickory Wind at one time but was never aware that Parsons wrote it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Being the only bass player around, I get asked to play a set quite often when a band comes to town. Someone always wants to get up and play guitar or drums. Never does a bass player get to sit out a set and still get paid full at the end of the night, unless I am there.

Every time I get up and play, I always like their bass better than mine. Ooohh, it plays nice. Action is low, doesn't buzz, great tone. In reality, their bass is no better than any of mine. Just a 45 minute honeymoon! They always say the same thing about my stuff. Maybe they are just being nice.

Glad you like yer new fiddle Dave!

Thanks Jim.

Outfriggingstanding! What about it is different???

It has a much richer tone and more volume. Also it is more balanced between the stings.

I jammed with about 20 people last night in a session...Where I would have had to play fairly hard with my other fiddle, I just idled with this one and could easily be hear above the crowd at a whim...it "carries" very well sound wise, and when I want to pull certain tones form it they come much easier.

All in all it is an excellent step up from my other one. Last night did a lot to diminish the buyers remorse I was feeling before I played it.

I jammed with about 20 people last night in a session...Where I would have had to play fairly hard with my other fiddle, I just idled with this one and could easily be hear above the crowd at a whim...it "carries" very well sound wise, and when I want to pull certain tones form it they come much easier.

That is a good description...being able to idle and be heard leaves room to "punch it" when you really want to turn some heads. :D

Love that you are doing a lot more playing these days Dave. Good for the soul.

Once upon a time... I had aspirations... Sang with a touring choir for a while. Tried out with a couple of garage rock and roll bands when I was younger. Voice changed and I leaned toward country instead of rock or gospel. I still sing to my kids from time to time ;)
Dabbled with this some years ago...
<object width="357" height="458"><param name="movie" value="http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/e/b118294d"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/e/b118294d" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="357" height="458"></embed></object>

Cool Stephan!

Well shucks...got all the way to band practice (in the park next to the lead players house) and they call me and cancel again. That's twice in a row I was up there to play and we didn't. My future with this group is tenuous right now...that's two strikes.

I'm not as pissed as I am disappointed, but I won't tolerate more of the same. I let it be known I need more notice on changes.

200_s.gif

Booked a Bluegrass gig playing Bass 6 hours NW of here (Rick, MI in the UP) for Fri. (I have to work in the morning) They are working on another show on the way back on Sat.
I'll be hauling the camper & taking the dog, so probably take 7 or so hrs to get there.

Pay will about equal gas $ at that distance, but it's with all top notch younger musicians I'm friends with. The fiddler (Isaak) currently tours with Marty Rabon. Should be a musical blast!

Going to be headed back mighty early Sunday to make practice with the country guys at Noon...busy weekend.

Back