Anyone in a band or play an instrument?

Hahahahaaa...

Can't imagine that, but I don't gig.

What's your take on Jaco Pastorius?

What bottom do you use with that Ampeg? The 8 10's?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
When I was younger I wanted the 8x10 cabinet, but I settled for a 4x12 Fender cab because I was broke.

I ruined it over the years with the power, now I borrow a 15.

Now I like light and powerful, I am still really thinking about the bigger Hartke.

Jaco? Died too young and was ahead of his time. He was way too advanced for me when I was a kid, I could never make sense of it. I could follow Jack Bruce, not Jaco.

You can get them with lines, but I think that detracts from the appearance.

Besides, every fret is marked in the neck binding, giving you something to aim for.

Are you a Jaco Pastorius​ fan?

Fretless basses have a whole 'nother cool sound.

As Jaco would say, "Frets are like speed bumps..."

It's not so much the fretless part, but moreso the no lines factor. They make lined fretless basses, but I really like the no lines look.

If it turns out that no lines is overwhelming, then I'll be ordering this.

You have to be much more accurate with your finger placement, with a fretted instrument you always aim for close to the fret, but it doesn't matter too much where you put the fingertip. With no frets every note you play is going to be flat or sharp unless you get it spot on, lines or no lines. I don't think the lines will make much difference, you'll either learn the technique or not, if you're looking at the lines all the time you're playing you haven't really mastered it, it's the aural feedback that's really critical.

With a lot or most physical dexterity skills, your body learns independent of your mind. Repetition is the key. Looking at your fingers seems like it could be a hindrance to how fast you learn to play fretless.

It's not about looking at your fingers...it's about listening to what they produce and remembering where the correct notes are mechanically.

On fretless the physical mechanics can't be separate from the mind as you have to listen to every note to ensure correct tonality, and be ready to adjust quickly if it is off.

The longer the scale the easier to be close to in tune...I have to "re-find" the notes every day on the fiddle just because of the small variations that occur from day to day in my hands/fingers due to changes in moisture content, humidity, temperature, etc. Bass is much more accommodating.

My cheap bass arrived and I love it. I can't believe how nice it is for the price I paid. It came with flatwounds and I'm having fun making the violin sounds. It's gonna take some getting used to working with no lines, for sure.

Back