Anyone in a band or play an instrument?

I can't say anything against something I haven't tried. I was just awful attached to that instrument, we spent a lot of years, and did a lot of gigs together.

Every other bassist who played that guitar tried to buy it from me, it played great!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Sans1ALh7ks" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

To quote an old employer of mine: "I'm pretty pissed when I'm paying for five musicians and walk in to find only one of them is playing"...kinda sums up my feeling on bass or drum solos...

Played a kinda lame little jam last night. Had fun and got some practice in though.

I'd rather here the entire band in general.

there are a lot of different scenarios though.

A violin "soloist" usually has an "accompanist" on piano or something: to me this is a duet not a solo (which I take literally to mean "alone".

Terminology can be a bear...the person playing the lead is playing the lead/melody...doesn't mean they are playing alone.

guitar can do some great things by itself (solo) but I'm not talking the electric finger-wiggling crap coming from most modern lead players...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
To my knowledge, I have never performed a bass solo. I am not good enough to fill much time!

Cool to hear them during warm up or break time.

To be clear, a lead player is the natural enemy of the bass player. Well, second only to a drummer that cant keep time.

Maybe...I just prefer to hear the whole band with the bass doing what it does best...keeping it all together.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh, sure. It just has to be in context.

Our lead player grew up on hair metal. He fires off a two minute hair metal solo in the middle of a country song once in a while. Not good.

Right place, right time a solo makes the song.

Of course they deal with an egomaniacial bass player who doesn't do the fade into the background thing very well during a guitar solo!

I listen to music for the groove, or what a player can throw down on top of it...not to hear someone hit a bunch of practice riffs by himself, basically masturbating on an instrument...hell I can do that myself at home.

I'm more interested in the finer aspects of keeping meter.

Exactly Butch...when I listen I'm not interested in hearing someone else practice at the expense of my time. I hear that enough out of myself;)

I want to hear what the unit can do together.

Back