Anyone in a band or play an instrument?

Sorry to hear your not feeling well JIm.

Had a great little gig tonight. Two flat top players and me.

The new pickup works great. Lots more power, and no feedback. The sound was pretty good to start, and it got better with a few adjustments through the night. Couple more shows and I should have it all dialed in.8)

It was great to play my standup nice and soft like on an electric: much less wear & tear on my hands, and could pull off some tricks that I can't when playing hard over a mic. :D

Long day tomorrow: hour drive then rehearsal at Ten, short drive to Show from 12-4, another hour drive to the 8:30-12:30 show, then probably an hour and 1/2 home. That's cool...made $40 tonight and 200 tomorrow...not a bad weekend. Plus a new guy called me and wants to get together to run through some things...got my name form a reference...a buddy told me he played guitar in some big time band with a hit or two in the past sometime...new to the area and looking to form something...if he's as cool and low key as he sounded on the phone I'm ready.

Every show went great. Both crowds had a great time today.

Long drive back through a snow storm but the roads were nearly empty and made it home fine about 1am (left at 9 this morning).

Hope you get feeling better Jim. Too bad you had to miss out on playing.

Butch, The Bass case is very well insulated. It's not so much the temp and the quick changes. I try ot get where I have to play and hour or two before time and let it just set in the case and warm up slowly, before getting it out.

Couple of people videoed a song or two but it's on Fb so no embedding.

https://www.facebook.com/luke.gitchel.5/videos/1119781584809814/

https://www.facebook.com/luke.gitchel.5/videos/1119749311479708/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can't watch them on my phone for some reason......and my computer won't connect to the Internet.

I bet they are good though!

In 17 years of playing I think I have only missed three or four gigs...never for being sick before though.

Wife wants me to see a doctor. For a cold?

Whoa! A five string!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vBK2iEn-9_g?list=UUO0sLrohiZffMhb3vioEkRw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Had a blast this afternoon...Played about 5 hours with an awesome guitar player and singer. Working toward a show in late Feb early March.

This guy's the real deal...Roger Brown... Cool guy, very down to earth. He never mentioned anyone he played with...I found out on my own through other people. Some one referred me to him as a bass player that can sing harmony. :D

That's real cool, Dave. That's been my experience as well with meeting the few individuals that I think could be said are world class artists. They don't brag, humility and thankfulness for their gifts. Most courteous to their fans.

Yeah. He was in a past band with the guy I played for last weekend...thus the referral.

From listening to the two of them talk, there may be more in the future with the three of us...they both sound like they want to get back playing together and would like me on bass.

Meanwhile I'm still looking for jobs to play and hope to run into one once in a while until something steady comes along.

Thanks Jim, me too. I've got New Years booked and this latest show is all right now, but at least I'm getting out some and meeting some players.

Just taking a break from recording fiddle and bass parts for some folks on the net (Kompoz.com) right now. Looks like another extended evening of playing...put up one fiddle track this am from the last two nights recording and they liked it, so got more to do. Don't make anything from it, but it's fun helping folks out and makes me play stuff I normally wouldn't.

I had piano lessons at age 10, for about 9 months. Wasn't really interested, and rarely had a piano to practice on that wasn't full of mice. Tried again at about 30 for a short time, as I was getting the inclination..... but it was very short lived as I was just too stretched with other stuff. Anyway, finally at 44 Ive found some time and enthusiasm over the last couple of months to put in quite a big effort. Its not happening near as fast as I thought, but am at a stage now where its starting to sound something like music.

Been working on a few tunes. I just need to stick at it this time, and keep up the momentum. If I can do a full year Id except to be making some progress.

Here's one that my Grandad used to play back in Ireland. Nothing like to his standard, but its early days. I made the vid to send to my Dad just today, but I thought Id share it here too.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1r_yw4YkXVA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks guys. Like entering a whole new world to me. A completely different focus and way of thinking than what I'm familiar with. But I'm enjoying it immensely. As I improve I'll hopefully put some more stuff up here.

looking forward to it. I love piano but never played one. Spent time as a kid on Mom's old Hammond Chord organ though.

Back