Gas powered drill for GRCS question

stig

Patron saint of bore-cutters
The castle that is one of our main clients have decided to have a permanent zipline installed in the park. Or rather 3 of them at different levels of scary ( yes, there are people who find stuff like that scary).
We have been asked to help the company that installs it. There will be a lot of tree inspection and pruning offending parts of the canopy away, plus helping them run the wire ropes through the canopy.I figured the GRCS would work fine for that by attaching the wire rope to a bullrope.
So we need to get a gas powered drill to run the GRCS.

Anyone have any experience with that?

As in what kind of RPMs and power should one go for in the drill?

I have never run a grcs with a drill however knowing a little bit about gas powered drill I would suggest looking at a Tanaka TED 270 PFR. It has a reversible gearbox so you could run the high and the low gears. Very dependable drill. If you were over here I could get you a deal on one but not geographically feasible.

Thinking about it though they run too fast, like 900 rpm, you probably want below a hundred

I have a Tanaka with reverse and it just barely has enough stones to lift a two hundred lb chunk, it will do it but it really is not happy.

Bt 45 here as well. Good drill for drilling. Sucks at GRCSing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

you need an auger,

the drills you guys are using, are they reversible. wondering if you are trying to turn the grcs in high gear

I use a Hole Hawg with my GRCS. It is electric, but is awesome. We used it just last week to pull that Butternut off the garage. You will always have to do a little manual cranking, but the drill is awesome.

Stig, check out Atom Industries web sight for the Atom Chainsaw Auger. They don’t sell them in the states here anymore because some pansy broke his arm and sued over it (should have enough power to turn the GCRS - ha!) It was going to be around $500 to do a work around and have one shipped here. Eleven to one gear reduction, mount up to about as strong a powerhead as you want. Think there are two models to chose from.

Built in Australia shipped into Canada.

Merle's on the ball. I've had an Atom drill attachment for years, they're great. I don't have GCRS but it would work, they fit just about any saw and have forward and reverse.http://www.atomindustries.com/home.html

Stihl make a copy of mine but the current model is a little different, but basicly the same. Stihl $400 on US ebay. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/STIHL-BT...564?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e79dcbdf4

index.jpg $(KGrHqFHJBME-dq2kM)eBPw)kyk+eQ~~60_12.JPG

Atom $440 on ebay here, I could probably get one a bit cheaper. With Copenhagen zip code about $100 express post, but I'd have to double check on that.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Atom-cha...ing_Agriculture_Equipment&hash=item2ebeafabfb

Gonna be tough to hold that against the torque of a GRCS if lifting a heavy load. A Milwaukee Hole Hawg will nearly break your arm if you don't hang on.

FWIW Milwaukie also makes a powerfull right angle drill .I have one I used for a power head on a roofing seamer I built but can't find the pictures of .

Places like Home Depot and Lowes have a no questions asked policy about returns .People abuse the system .Buy a drill or something ,use it for a small job and return them for a refund .A secondary firm buys them for pennies on the dollar ,checks them out ,repackages them with a new case and sells them for a discount with a warrenty about like a new one for about half price .At the time I think I had less than $ 200 in mine which came from South Carolina . You can Google it if you like .

Not this one .This praticular model has an adjustable right angle head that can be selected by which direction you install it as to reduction ratios .You can demount the angle head and remount the chuck and it becomes a standard D-handle 1/2" drill .

Now unless they call that one a hole hog now of days which could be .The older models called a hole hog were a compact non adjustable right angle drill that would fit between the floor joists of a house .Those would no doubt break an arm if it got away from you .Well they had enough power to spin a 4 inch "hole hog" wood bit .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
TRhat Stihl model looks interesting.
I can probably talk Stihl Denmark into getting me one.

Interesting vid on drilling through the ice with the Lewis gear. Have to ask since I never have done it, is it fun to sit over a little hole and go fishing? I mean before doing any drinking.

Back