Starting a tree service.

That is nice! I have been trying to think of ways I could convert on of my utility trailers where one of the sides could come off. One of my ideas was have an 8' section pull out or open. Inside the trailer lay a 3/4" x 4' x 8' sheet of plywood on top of pvc pipes. The plywood with attachment points for rope and it would roll right off. I have a few ideas like this. Sorry for the derail. I will start a new thread :) Oh yeh, I am terrible with names so I have called you Mr Holmen out of respect. First name is Willard i see and now remember. Lol
Thanks, Mark

now i know how you can roll out solo
You Got Tricks
Thanks Jamin, my "blue ox" in the photo below is the best employee I've ever hired, rated for 800 lb load on a 38% grade but I've had double that on it, not a lick of trouble with it in 6 yrs now.

That is nice! I have been trying to think of ways I could convert on of my utility trailers where one of the sides could come off. One of my ideas was have an 8' section pull out or open. Inside the trailer lay a 3/4" x 4' x 8' sheet of plywood on top of pvc pipes. The plywood with attachment points for rope and it would roll right off. I have a few ideas like this. Sorry for the derail. I will start a new thread :) Oh yeh, I am terrible with names so I have called you Mr Holmen out of respect. First name is Willard i see and now remember. Lol
Thanks, Mark
Thanks Mark, when I first built my trailer before the dump box I had a 8 ft beam with a plywood wall on the far side of the box with a hand winch connected to it on the opposite side where I pulled the side off. Winched the load off like one of those tarp roll kits you can buy for your pickup bed.

Attachments

• anna 016.jpg
    anna 016.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 97
  • SDC10676-001.JPG
    SDC10676-001.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 96
My first suggestion is to have a "Winter Fund" account that you save a minimum of 3 months of money in to use when work slows down. That lowers stress dramatically. When times pick up, you replenish that account before you start splurging on new toys.

Before you buy a piece of equipment, have three months worth of payments set back in the winter fund.

Get a loader of some sorts early on, a mini skid is a great asset and dramatically reduces the suck of tree work (the dealing with the debris portion).

Figure out where your debris will go and what form it needs to be in. I have it worked out where I can get rid of (essentially) infinite tree debris in whole form, meaning I don't need a chipper, which is a beautiful thing.

Find a niche, but don't be afraid to do things that utilize the same tools. For example, my niche is removals, but this year I have started doing site prep work/site contracting as well. We will also do trimming, but I usually won't personally build a fence, for example. This year I bought an excavator and track loader to do contracting work, however the excavator is fantastic for handling tree debris.

Get your name out there. (Advertise).

Starting your company right, come up with a name, handle any tax and incorporation details early on while its small, makes it easier. Find an accountant, and use their advice.

Yes, excellent posts by all!! ..some great advice here :thumbup:

Oh, welcome colin

Let me elaborate on one thing Carl said. Ask around for a GOOD accountant. Not all accountants are good at their job. Like any trade. I had a bad one for the first few years and didn't know it.

Also, accept you can outgrow your current professional service providers.

One of my wealthiest clients is going to refer me to his CPA. It will be a long time (if ever) I outgrow him. I'm nothing special now, but decide what you want to do and make plans that follow that trajectory.

When you start advertising, advertise the number you'll always have. Don't make that your home phone number. I'm advertising my cell that I've had for 13 years. If it ever gets too cumbersome, I can get another cell for my personal calls. If I get a secretary, she can have that phone (or it can be converted to a land line) Changing your company's phone number is cumbersome. My folks advertised their home phone for the stump service, and I advertised it for the tree service for several years. I still get half my calls on that number.

Plan your company name around available websites.

Facebook and YouTube can be free, cheap advertising!

You are the biggest hurdle to cross concerning growth and success.

Get a business credit card that offers cash back. Use it unless there is a cash discount. I've "made" over $700 this year on cash back/points.

Figure out where your debris will go and what form it needs to be in.

This is huge at startup. I was lucky enough to find a farm where I can dump chips and logs AND they let me park my trucks, for free!!!

A nice website with good SEO is the way to advertise IMO. I made mine and did my own SEO during the winter, cost me nothing and brings in lots of work from a minimal investement.

Oh and regarding phone number, if you're going to service a large area, consider getting a toll free number. If someone has to pay long distance to reach you they probably won't.

Carl has given some great advice. One important thing I would add is to make sure you keep your books, and keep your books well. At the very basic level, record and track all of your revenue and all of your expenses. You should know where every penny is at all times. The more aggressive and detailed you are with your book keeping the better you are going to set yourself up for success.

blue ox

Thanks Jamin, my "blue ox" in the photo below is the best employee I've ever hired, rated for 800 lb load on a 38% grade but I've had double that on it, not a lick of trouble with it in 6 yrs now.

Thanks Mark, when I first built my trailer before the dump box I had a 8 ft beam with a plywood wall on the far side of the box with a hand winch connected to it on the opposite side where I pulled the side off. Winched the load off like one of those tarp roll kits you can buy for your pickup bed.

where do get one of those?
seen in magazines.
is there a u.s distributer?

Long distance is pretty well a non issue these days (in the US) for the kinda customer's you want to have. My phone allows me to call anyone in the US, unlimited, for the same monthly fee. Canada costs something, but I don't have customers up there to speak of.

How big is your intended service area in population and sq miles/km? I do most of my work in a ~500 square mile area, but my usual limits cover ~2800 square miles (1 hour drive or less). The populations are ~60k and 125-150k respectively. The more dense the population, the easier it is to grow it seems. Travel time isn't very billable usually!

I climbed full-time for several different companies (~6 years) before going out on my own this year. I compiled lots of climbing and rigging gear while working for others and scraped and saved. Started off with a 200t, 372xp, and a f-250 diesel rig. Upgraded to a non-dumping 16' trailer, then picked up a 65xp Bandit a couple months ago. Chip 5 yards into the back of my f250 and unload by hand. I run my one employee through a staffing agency.
Best advice is to create lasting relationships and HUSTLE ALL THE TIME.
damn dude, I chip into a 250 diesel as well, get a load handler, saves a lot of time and is way cheaper than a dump bed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
@ Holmen Tree, nope not shitting you, manure management in southern ontario is a big deal. I've grown up in the family business, it grows tiring after awhile and i wanna make my own name for myself so yes i'm alittle weird this is what i wanna do. checking out your gunsight thread.

@ Jamin Yep, that was my plan, little or no debt. I climbed for a guy for awhile, went to school for horticulture, now arborist for a big nursery in Ontario. if it fails, my equipment will be payed for and the family can always use a chipper :P

@lumberjack thankfully thats the joy of family business, the company will pay its own bills so there will be an winter fund for that but during the winter when i don't have work my personal bills can be payed for by working at home.

Thanks all for the advice, you really are a great bunch!

One of my big hurdles early on was my bids and doing work for friends. They would pass me on but the sale for them was my "cheap" price I had given them.
It's a business and it needs to make money.
Carl always impressed by your business savy:thumbup:

Back