Breakaway option for iffy trees

If a tree is really iffy don't climb it flop it or get a crane best two options IMO, but then again ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Horse lead panic snap. Strong enough for a horse and releases in a nanosecond under load.

...you beat me to the post...I have used those for securing big saw up in Tree....one handed release under load... I have been thinking that a true hands free breakaway is probably unattainable, the varying loads for positioning and saw hadling, plus Tree sway...seems too risky. Would regret it if it opened or released when NOT desired ...could get killed

The thing that worries me about a "true hands free breakaway" is that it might breakaway at the worst possible time. Another worry is a lanyard that releases one end, like with a zip-tie, and the other end gets hung up or wrapped around a falling tree. Stuff of nightmares.

I know I've posted the vid below a couple of years ago (with mixed reviews) but it releases instantly only under positive control. You do have to set it up so the swing is gonna work without injury. I've used it but never had to take a swing, thank Heaven. It releases the entire lanyard instantly with a single pull. Still my goto for "iffy" trees.

So, FWIW:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UPRt3gNptCY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have been around horses and those snaps a long time. They will hold lots of pressure. Picture a draft horse pulling backwards in violent succession, if you use one have your hand on it as it will hold unless released. It does release under pressure easily by hand but not of its own accord. That part would surely pull you with it should you not release it.

It's interesting how no company wants to develop, market and sell one. The potential for liability scares them off!
Very true , a 10 ft pole won't touch this.
Trouble with modifying lanyards with ties , leaving out stopper knots etc. is the chance of using it later on in a job where you aren't double tied in. You gotta stay on top of your game.

Thanks Jack,

I'm new here and have been sucking up information like a sponge. Nice to have a place where we can share ideas and learn.

Ironically, I've been around horses most of my life and never thought of this snap for this application. Great idea, and IMO, a much safer option than a hands free, I hope it breaks, option.

Hey..welcome, Gypo. Glad to have you on board.

I notice in your profile you are a timber cutter. There is a good mix here of arbs and fallers...great info exchange constantly.

Looking forward to your input. Best wishes for the Holidays.

Welcome, Gypo. Whereabout are you. I'm in Oly, WA. Residential arbo, and do some non- commercial harvest falling, two years of rotten trees for WA ST. You'll see a lot o' folks like to pick up tricks from people that have the latitude to try some trick shots away from structures.

hey guys interesting thread.
If theres a chance of something splitting i will use the tail of my climbing line as my lanyard and tie a slip knot on one side so i can just pull it out and swing free.
I like the idea of cable ties but i think you could possibly get caught out. in your scenario i would tie into something that will take my weight but will break if anything suddenly shifted and if that was not possible having a cutaway is always smart but i can't say that i have one but its rare if use my flip line anymore , only on blocking down stems or flipping up them as i much prefer my rope lanyard.
my silky will cut through any rope and its always at hand ;)

hey guys interesting thread.
If theres a chance of something splitting i will use the tail of my climbing line as my lanyard and tie a slip knot on one side so i can just pull it out and swing free.
I like the idea of cable ties but i think you could possibly get caught out. in your scenario i would tie into something that will take my weight but will break if anything suddenly shifted and if that was not possible having a cutaway is always smart but i can't say that i have one but its rare if use my flip line anymore , only on blocking down stems or flipping up them as i much prefer my rope lanyard.
my silky will cut through any rope and its always at hand ;)

I like the slipknot concept. Something that takes human action, such as a slipknot or cutting a rope lanyard only works if you are not crushed, and can still perform the action FAST.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Seems like this scenario would be quite a rare one...but it's good to have some ideas ready for when it does arise.
Plenty has been shared here that is valuable!

You should get less deflection of a high line at your weight, Fi. A piece of HTP or the like, maybe.

I forgot what I did one time exactly, but basically set up a tensioned line from a big tree to a stump, and had a steep angling highline for a super dead, tipped fir. You don't necessarily need to tall trees. Just an idea for sketch-city trees, independent of the break away ideas.

This thread is just one more example of how great this site is.

I'm pretty comfortable dropping a tree.......but knowing I had to remove part of a iffy tree before dropping the stem makes everything look so much different.

Nick Bonner recently did a TreeStuff video on a breakaway chainsaw lanyard that I had no idea TS offered for sale (500 lb. breaking strength on two plastic snaps.) I’m going to order a bunch of those to put on all my saws and it’s got me wondering if I might not use one as a “temporary break away positioning lanyard” as well during iffy cuts.

My name is Zane. Thanks for the welcome fellas.

I live in Eugene, Or.

I will admit, falling trees around houses is a lot more intense than out in the open timber. Typically I reserve the trick shots for places where there is a safety margin should something not go as planned. I typically stick to tried and true methods when I'm around buildings. It is fun to use a dutchman, domino timber, and other tricks, but again, I usually only do it around property when I'm sure it will work.

I love this place, so many great experienced climbers will to share ideas with the new guys. I have extensive experience falling timber, and climbing "logger style" with a flipline and spurs, but learning about srt and ddrt has really got me excited as to what I can actually do while in a tree.

I thank everyone here for the information they share.

Ok, first of all thanks for this thread. I have picked up some great ideas. Secondly, all of these ideas beat my method. Before I tell you the method that I have been using in this situation let me preface it by saying that this should probably never be done, and after reading this thread I will never do it this way again. Here goes....In the past when I have been tied in to a good tree and lanyard onto a "not so good" tree. I have positioned myself so that I am cutting with one hand (I know this a big no-no) and I have my other hand on my lanyard snap ready to disconnect at the hint of the tree failing. I know that this is very dangerous technique. So many things could go wrong here. One hand on the saw presents enough safety concerns and then there is the possibility that my lanyard is loaded so fast that I can't unhook. Or the tree might fail while I am getting into position and don't have my hand on the snap. Like I said, I will never use this method again. Until reading this post I didn't really think there were many other options out there. Thanks again for the advice guys. If I every think that I know all of the safety techniques out there and I can't be taught anything else then I will probably stop climbing.

I'm not sure about this idea, but some hardware stores sell aluminum keychain snaps or carabiners, some of the "higher end" ones do have breaking strengths stamped on them, such as 50 or 75 lbs.

I used to clip in to my belt loop but went with zip ties a while back. It's surprising how small a zip tie will hold your weight. i've found, in my testing, that the zip tie usually doesn't break, but the locking part fails and they run out. FWIW

Back