Breakaway option for iffy trees

Bermy

Acolyte of the short bar
I think we had a discussion on the old site once but I had a leaning tree to takedown a few weeks ago...

I was tied in to a tree behind it because there was old root heave and it had recently been windy and wet,

When I got to the top to start cutting off the branches I used my wire core lanyard to tie in to the stem in addition to the main tie in. I put a little keychain biner between my clip and D ring...just - in - case the shaking and weight shifting caused it to fall with me attached to it.
I would have hoped that the keychain biner would have ripped out and I would have just swung back to the tie in tree...maybe with bumps and bruises but alive.

Anybody else done this or used something else?

I like the zip tie, yet to have to use it. I was on a real sketchy tear out today cutting it off. I just did not lanyard in... If it came out from under me, I would just swing off. Granted, I had to one hand the 200 T and hold onto a bit of growth with the other while I set back into my harness. HO asked me what I thought about the tree (CA Black Oak). I told him to remove it. He opted to save the other side for now:|:
I did get them to agree on no more tire swings or hammocks, or picnics... or being under it at all....... :lol:
If I had been driving the F-350... I would have zip tied this one.

Attachments

• IMG_0026.jpg
    IMG_0026.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0028.jpg
    IMG_0028.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_0029.jpg
    IMG_0029.jpg
    396.5 KB · Views: 172
I used a CMI loop runner on a removal recently and branch got hung up so best decision was to cut the loop runner. With it loaded with 150 lbs. of wood it took all of 2" of my Zubat to graze this sling and it released. Fraction of a second and gone. I haven't used the loop runner for emergency cutaway yet but given the right situation I may be inclined to.

I have a spare Buckingham breakaway saw lanyard that I clip between my regular lanyard and D ring for this type of application. The built in bungee in the Buckingham is nice too , doesn't take up a lot of room on the saddle.

I'm in the zip tie camp.
Always keep a couple in my ditty bag.

Hmm. The ziptie sounds interesting. I assume it just has to be strong enough to hold your position? Guess I could "practice" with one on the ground, to see how much leaning it takes to break it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cool, good discussion, thanks chaps.
Zip ties, never thought of that.
All you need is something to hold your position as the main tie in is somewhwere else entirely.

I was thinking of the possible situation where you won't have time to get a knife out and/or when using the wire core lanyard.
I have a knife in a holder on my harness next to the first aid kit and I reckon it would take me at least 4-5 seconds to deploy it, by that time I could be mincemeat on the ground or very badly injured hanging from a nasty tree.

I've used a Zip tie on a couple of occasions. I used a little Stein tool Biner once but it bent wide open while I was cutting and I had a scary swing.

True...but in those few seconds you have as shit hits fan, odds are better at releasing a non locker, maybe even before full tension. I favor the survival odds ... maybe it is all in my head.

Fair enough. A barber chair or unknown rigging rope over your climbline or lanyard would load too fast to do anything.

I'm going to get a cuttable spectra sling for my flipline as a safety.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Read my post #12...I want the breakaway to go on its own, and not have to cut it, talking about a sudden catastrophic fail, not one where you can see it coming or a small load that you'd have time to cut out before debilitating injuries or death.

Read my post #12...I want the breakaway to go on its own, and not have to cut it, talking about a sudden catastrophic fail, not one where you can see it coming or a small load that you'd have time to cut out before debilitating injuries or death.
Thanks, and thanks from all the people who were going to get all of their emergency plan from this thread.

Im still an advocate for removing the stopper knot from the end of the lanyard and letting the hitch run off the end.

yep. I put the tail in my teeth, barely, knowing to let go if I have to bug out, and that I have to re-tie the stopper knot if I'm taking the tail out of my mouth. Rope in teeth is a throwback to rock climbing. I know people have lost teeth this way, but when I've heard about it, it wasn't a lanyard, but rather a rigging line.

Back