Sharpening Used Files

I use H30 and H28 Foredom handpieces.

I sometimes use fluted milling bits in the H30. They are great for roughing in the exhaust port.

I never thought that the files can be given a second life.)) What kind of vinegar is best? Apple cider vinegar, wine vinegar, or other options? In order not to waste time sharpening chains, I just put a sharp chain. For quick sharpening very blunt chains I have electrical chain grinder for saws 12 Volt / 85 Watt / 5000 rpm. Powered from a car cigarette lighter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Both apple and wine vinegar are good choices, relatively high acid content. Be sure to clean files before, I've been using a brass wire brush. Try 20-24 hours. Rinse and dry well. I dip them in a baking soda solution to stop the acid reacting with the metal, then rinse with plain water. Probably you can eliminate the baking soda if you wash the vinegar off well.

I use H30 and H28 Foredom handpieces.

I sometimes use fluted milling bits in the H30. They are great for roughing in the exhaust port.

Ahhh I just checked your handpieces have a larger collet than what Brasseler makes. If you are ever change your hanpiece their E cutters are very nice.

I have two bottles. One apple cider vinegar, one with gas mix.
When I dipped in vinegar i let it sit with cutters up.
After I rinse it in gas. I got in to my head this has a anti corrosive effect as well as ending the metal eating effect..

On that carbide probabley all the acid would do is work on tramp aluminum not on the carbide itself .On that I've actually got impregnated diamond burrs but they aren't worth a hoot on aluminum .Fact I've got diamond cutters for the lathe too which will put a finish on aluminum about like a mirror ,not worth a hoot on steel though ,they break .The best cutters I have are ceramic which will cut harder stuff than carbide .I think I sent TW a bunch of them couple years back with a holder or 6 .

On the files ,what like a buck a pop for good ones .They get dull I toss them aside for other uses .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was thinking that perhaps a good way to use these reconditioned files, would be to go around the loop with them, and then do it again with one or two strokes from a newer file to finish off. Extend the life of a good condition file.

Back