Sharpening Used Files

I usually sell them to firewood cutters which is pretty much the same as tossing them in a hole.

I get more than that, but then my saws don't have near as many teeth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The vinegar has developed bubbles, some reaction is taking place. I should be able to take out the files in the morning and see. Drama.....:lol: I like restoring stuff, what can i say?

I get about 50-150 filings per file depending on what it is exposed to. Sometimes more...
I doubt it is wrong... But I bet more could be taken out of them if taken care of.

I turn file 1/2 turn after first stroke that clean gullet.
I clean them with cloth after each tooth. This takes me 10-25 filings.
I clean file with petrol or degreezer when it starts to take less material out. Then do it all over again another 25-50 filings..
When cleaning is not doing the trick I dip it in Apple cider vinegar and let it sit for 5 min with cutters up. Shake it of, rinse in gas and of I go again another round.
This I repete as long as It works 2-4 up to 6 times sometimes with some files.
I still have files I started out with 10 years ago.

Vibration kills the file, bouncing on metal is what kill it rather than cutting.

I file more than most I think. If it is really rocked or hit metal I might put it in grinder a lap or two first, but then it is filed.
Filing is to me the faster way with better result. It is harder to make a chain better than new in grinder.

I fold a rag about a foot long and pull it through the gullet to get the bar oil off the teeth. You can advance the chain with the rag, doesn't take long. I bang the chips out and wipe the file with a rag. I will have to try degreaser. Sounds like a good idea.

Brilliant idea dipping the file into the mix gas. They should have a knot on the back of their head.

5 min seems really short to sharpen in vinegar. Looking on the web, it seemed more like overnight, though people were talking about wood rasps and other types of metal working files, not chainsaw files. Chainsaw files are pretty fine in comparison.. Maybe there will be no teeth left by morning? :|:

My dad sharpens his rasps....and buys used rasps cheap and resharpens them for sale to others. He uses Muriatic acid, soaks overnight and rinses with clean water.

Given the smaller tooth size of chainsaw files I'me guessing a much shorter soak time may be appropriate.

What's the Muriatic acid really doing? It's great on Aluminum and bricks, but you guys are saying it eats carbon steel and chrome, which is what most saw chain is made from and the file from carbon steel...

Your using a rag/toothbrush or wire brush to remove the material in between the teeth and acid/vinegar to re-sharpen the file teeth and it doesn't eat the file but it will the teeth?

This is pretty deep stuff..... bad day to stop sniffing glue.

Interesting stuff, my problem is (File wise!) I am a messy toolbox person, I'm wasteful and most files don't see out their natural life.
perhaps if we lived in a post apocalyptic world where new files were no longer available.....
I think however I'll just get some new ones and go in the house and relax.

When my file is dull, I snap it in half and chuck it in the nearest place that it wont pop a tire or get me in trouble. When I sharpen, and the file is getting full of nastiness, I give it a firm tap on the side of the bar then wipe it on the thing of my jeans.

The handle part is not hardened and makes a good little hook if nothing else .I've never tried it but I'd imagine you could probabley take a little 5/32" file and bend a hook to snatch a seal .

Some of the old timers ,Big Dave for example tells of breaking an old file and using it in a 1/4" drill motor to port saw engines .What ever works .

When the files are dull for the saw chains, they are still good enough for other materials like plastics, wood or even usual steal for metal work. Very handy to adjust a hole or make a clean tight radius in a corner, a curved edge ...
But I would prefer to use them longer for the initial purpose.

Anyway, today is the big day for results when I get my arse to my shop. Expecting a reasonable degree of success because I went to the trouble to make a PVC soaking tube, like Stumper's dad, the thought already occurred to me to get other people's used files. 2 out of 3 guys have said i could have them, the third one seems suspicious. I might even get some sizes that I have never purchased before! :blob8: If you guys could better appreciate my situation here you might be more understanding. All they sell are these silly little one or three packs, for which i imagine that a very circuitous route to the store shelf allows five or six paper pushers to also make a profit, generally how things work.

Cool thread! Eager to hear the results

The results of the first go around where..ah..disappointing. :( Insufficient sharpening rejuvenation after twenty hours immersion. I subsequently found out that rice vinegar is a rather weak acidic vinegar, so I now have files brewing in the stronger distilled white vinegar. Learning something about vinegar, anyway. I see that there is a quite strong type called cleaning vinegar, put out by Heinz. I don't think it is available here, be it would be cool to try using that.

Back