Sharpening Used Files

woodworkingboy

TreeHouser
I know it has been discussed a bit before, but who sharpens their chain files? I'm about run out of some sizes, and they sell them dear here like they are made out of a precious metal. I usually buy from the states at Bailey's, but it is a bother if I don't need anything else. I finally got around to making a container out of small diameter PVC capped pipe to hold the vinegar, and tonight bought some rice vinegar. Going to give it a try tomorrow. Lots of used files, though I never expected to sharpen them before reading that it can be done, I never threw them out either. I see that you have to get them clean before soaking. Any other tips? Can I expect good success? Is it necessary to neutralize the vinegar with a baking soda solution when you have finished soaking, or can you just rinse them off with plain water? I'll be stoked if it works decent.

Thanks.

Let us know. I will be shocked if it works, but good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looking on the net, people say it works. Soak overnight. You can also use acid, even car battery apparently, and shorter immersion time if you use stronger stuff.

Whats the principle, acid eats up junk embedded between the teeth/ridges thus cleaning the file allowing it to cut well again?

No, it etches the edges making them sharp again. You clean the files so the etching solution makes good contact on the entire teeth. If you do multiple files at the same time, they shouldn't be touching each other.

I've heard of using vinegar to clean/sharpen files for years, mostly from old-timers. I buy them by the dozen, have two at a time in use, (a sharp one and a sharper one), and store them in a PVC tube inside straws. WHen they get dull, I chunk them and start another one.

Use a stiff nylon brush or a soft brass bristled brush to clean. if you can't get it all out, say like under the teeth of a wood rssp, which I also want to sharpen, use an awl and pick out the debris.

I've heard about using muriatic acid instead of vinegar. Haven't tried it myself, though.

Pool supplies would sell muriatic acid. I read that too. Have to watch for fumes though, probably best done outside. With that strong acid, probably soaking two or three hours? Apparently any type vinegar will work, or just about. i read where apple is good. It is more costly here so I bought rice.

They turn black apparently, and subject to surface rust or something, like the tang above the solution if that is how you do it. I don't know about neutralizing acid, but maybe the concentrated baking soda to neutralize will work for that too? After vinegar, a quick dip in the baking soda solution, then dry well. Maybe you want to flush with clean water before drying, I dunno? Anyway with vinegar, i read 12 to 24 hours. Guess it depends on how dull.

I have seen line clearance guys dip their files in the 5gal jug of saw gas to clean them.......................................

Have you checked Ebay, for ordering files?

I know it has been discussed a bit before, but who sharpens their chain files? I'm about run out of some sizes, and they sell them dear here like they are made out of a precious metal. I usually buy from the states at Bailey's, but it is a bother if I don't need anything else. I finally got around to making a container out of small diameter PVC capped pipe to hold the vinegar, and tonight bought some rice vinegar. Going to give it a try tomorrow. Lots of used files, though I never expected to sharpen them before reading that it can be done, I never threw them out either. I see that you have to get them clean before soaking. Any other tips? Can I expect good success? Is it necessary to neutralize the vinegar with a baking soda solution when you have finished soaking, or can you just rinse them off with plain water? I'll be stoked if it works decent.

Thanks.

Yes I do, Tom. I'm not sure why they aren't recommended for cleaning files prior to the vinegar treatment. There may not be a good reason, but people that regularly do it seem to prefer nylon or brass bristles.

No, I haven''t checked ebay, but that is a good idea. I'm going to see how the sharpening works. If it does, I'm in business for quite awhile.

A couple of weeks ago I was getting gas in town on a windy evening. There was a one gallon container between the pumps and the store. I thought I will throw that away before it blows away. A full gallon of muriatic acid. Imagine what kind of mess or accident that could have caused if someone ran over it. I thought about setting it somewhere so maybe the owner got it back. After I thought about what could have happened if it was run over I decided it was mine.

I tried it once, seemed to work, but I learned the hard way you need to put something on them for a rust inhibitor! They will rust like mad after an acid bath!

Kind of drippy, Leon. Any light oil, or make your own mix of oil and kerosene? That makes a good mix for wiping on tool blades to prevent rust.

At a dollar per file.. I let the dull ones rust in the ground next to a RC of a tree in two pieces. At least the tree will get some iron from it. Next file please.
Now if you are talking the more expensive feather files or what not... probably worth a try. But a saw file.. fohgetaboutit

Back