Looking for a new rear handle 'in tree' saw.

Grendel

TreeHouser
What's your poison?

I've been thinking a Stihl 362 or a husky 562XP. Might want to go a little smaller?

I'd be interested in hearing what your thoughts are on the next step after the top handle.

Thanks. Stay warm. (brrrr)

~Sam

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've already got a gem of a an 028 Super, but I'd like to leave that for my buddy on the ground and get something new for the tree. . .

Husky 562 will blow the 362 out of the water. If considering that size class you'd be silly to buy anything but the 562.

From the top handles I have, I move up gradually have a few mid size...then a big saw for big cuts when needed like 372.....the 357 has gone off the ground probably the most

Is it just for cutting big wood? If not, get a rear handled 201.

Yeah kind of, bigger wood. Most of the takedowns I've done lately are bigger conifers (whites and reds), and I'd like something zippy attached to a 20" bar for chunking the stems. . .

Yeah kind of, bigger wood. Most of the takedowns I've done lately are bigger conifers (whites and reds), and I'd like something zippy attached to a 20" bar for chunking the stems. . .

In a conifer, with a 20" bar, the 562 will blow your mind.

Stihl 361 20" works for me...but I just got a 461 with the thought I might use it up in a tree from time to time as well as the ground work.
First step up from the 200 is a 260 with a 16".

361 is a great tool IMO. I have one that is just about beat. I keep thinking about resurrecting it. They were awesome tools. the 562 is far superior, but its entirely different technology also. Its not real comparing apple to apples.

I need to get on that 361 of mine. Its ashme to not have it on the job. Smooth and fast.

I haven't used the 562, but I can say from experience that the 362 seems to be a bit of a step down from the 361.

Leon, ever get that 359 running, I know it was a sore point with you? Mine is down too after irreparable damage to the piston and cylinder. It's my shiniest saw, i should fix it.

No, after getting a modded 346 I never had much motivation to mess with the 359 again. It remains hanging lonely on a hook in the toolshed. Maybe someday...

I use a MS261 which I think is ok at best. I liked out Jony 2152 much better. I'm not sure of what the Husky version is. 18in bars are perfect on this saws IMO

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I know nothing of that husky model but I go from a 200 to a 361, light enough to sling around with enough power to do most trees

I know its not the greatest saw and its not made for in tree use but when Im not using my 355t I use the cs400 and it works very well nice and light enuff power to do what I need it to do

I don't like the MS260 range of saws very much. We use them clearing trails, because they are light, and we can get them out of the saw pack without taking it off, but I'm not a big fan. I want something that will be at home with a 20" bar, and the 562 is probably gonna scratch that itch. I'll post a picture of whatever I end up with.

Thanks for the input guys.

Back