Greatest frustration with running a crew or otherwise

SouthSoundTree

Treehouser
Discuss.

Repeating the same basic operating instructions-- Call and Respond; warm up saws before sending them up; if you're not sure, ask; Check the machine fluids- trucks, chipper, etc.

Hungover, again?
This trade brings some winners for sure, from all walks of life. My last guy quit because I told him to pray on his own time. I am all for respecting ones beliefs, but they may or may not be your beliefs alone.

I've got a pretty good crew right now but in the past, garnishments! I hate guys with stupid baggage

Groundies that, when arriving at the job, stand around (or even stay seated in the trucks) and have to be told to get the saws gassed up.

employees that don't respect my equipment that I pay for. Just found new dents on the truck yesterday. Of course, no one ever knows how it happens.

employees that don't respect my equipment that I pay for. Just found new dents on the truck yesterday. Of course, no one ever knows how it happens.

:X

No gripes really, but one fella can often be found just sort of standing around when there is work to be done. I got to a job I ran a couple weeks ago. Busy to of had to arrange some things with the property owner and also get my gear unloaded and in order, and set up for the crane arrival. He just kind of stood at a distance yapping with someone. Kind of bugged me, I surely would have been assisting. He came to this work from a different long term profession, and is missing a bolt and nut about it. Still a brother though, so we cover for him, he's not so young and basically means well. I like to see him happy. :)

I have calmed down with workers. I used to be hard on them. Ive become more patient. BUT, I do get frustrated at a worker that cant get in a rhythm. Tree work is predictable. Arrive, sort and prep gear, make mess, clean up mess, put away gear. 5 step process. When a guy cant get it that rhythm and stay self directed, it stirs me.

Groundies that reach their plateau or pinnacle of incompetence effortlessly, and have no respect for my equipment.

Thinking ahead comes out of the need for survival. Lots of folks seem to have never required that. I like working with people that since they are walking by something, and since it needs to go in the same general direction at some point and remaining there is pointless, why not pick it up then?

How about employees who steal work from their employer. I had one guy who would go back to one of my potential customers that I gave an estimate to , after work he would go back and underbid me and then him and his dad would do the work on his days off.

I had a groundie (got rid of him finally this summer) that would occasionally go postal if the limb he was feeding into the chipper flipped up and clipped him. He would just go ballistic and heave the stick as far away as he could, while swearing at max decibels. Very disconcerting, and I don't think it was the right corporate image I wanted represented.

I had a groundie (got rid of him finally this summer) that would occasionally go postal if the limb he was feeding into the chipper flipped up and clipped him. He would just go ballistic and heave the stick as far away as he could, while swearing at max decibels. Very disconcerting, and I don't think it was the right corporate image I wanted represented.

Thats funny, I had to laugh at that. sorry

I was foreman on a line clearance crew for 12 years, plus 6 years right of way clearing. Turnover rate was about two greenies per year, on my crew alone. It was tough, but in those 18 years a few of those kids came out shining and become foremen themselves. After which I would relish when they told me that they were the asshole now.

Let's see here... Guys that steal equipment is the worst I've seen, most common is guys that just drag their feet, or hardly move at all, I think Butch coined the term "Pile Polishers" some time ago. Also common is guys that claim to be way more experienced than they are, they talk the talk, but they don't walk the walk, this ends up in wasted time at best. Worked with one guy that asked if I could blow the driveway off because it was too wet. WTF! lol!

Showing up late.
Rocking saws.
Needing to be told to do everything.
No, you will not get a raise until you start ask questions and learning. By learning new skills and thinking ahead, you become more valuable to the company.

Back