Greatest frustration with running a crew or otherwise

I have two other owners helping.. No biggie.. We do ok... never gonna get rich, but we do ok.
I save money by not having them.... I get one good one in seven... Train.... buy him or her a saw and on their merry way they go to start their own.
If they are worth keeping.... They usually deserve to make a stab at their own gig. They'll never make much working for someone else up here.
Our labour force up here sucketh. I remember running a couple kitchens up here and having 1/2 my kitchen staff taken out in cuffs on a busy night more than once. No shows... Fug up gear... No memory retention or attention span... Too much meth or alcohol.. Fug it. 41 percent WC Screw it.

Makes alot of sense, Stephen

The mantle of leadership can be heavy. That is just how it is. It's like a perfect golf game, never gonna happen. Crew members will always find a way to do goofy shit.

Well said.

Small is good if the type of work you have allows it.
That's what I've done for the past 10yrs...trusted subs who can see the advantage of working with me, I pay PRONTO, they never have to wait for their money, and in return I get priority scheduling, lift the phone and my job moves rapidly up the list.
Been working with my hubby for this time too, but now have to look for a groundie substitute for the hot weather due to his health, have one or two in mind, both self motivated and already have their own small businesses.
As the climber its going to be vital that an extra groundie is a switched on individual...maybe easier to find in the rural setting than the suburbs...just a guess.

Hey can you gas those saws, like we did yesterday morning, and every morning for the last year.

Hey, the trees down, the brush is chipped. Maybe you can grab the rake and clean this up?

Having good groundies to work under me was always a bane with the local tree services I worked for. I could write pages of my past experiences working with groundies that could not speak English. Let alone know the knots or how to let the work run. What those tree services thought they saved by hiring cheap labor cost them in the long run. Just my perspective.

I used to have a dream team. One part time CA with CDL and 30 years climbing experience and crane experience with Bartlett and Davey, one full time farm buy with nasty strength, good self respect, and a thirst to learn. One is now in Grand Rapids MI, and the other is in Seattle. I miss that chapter.

Ya, it really is. You have trust, confidence to take anything on, and sleep well at night knowing you don't have to babysit. Plus, its profitable.

My biggest problem right now is finding a decent ground guy. I end up with guys that don't know the work, but are decent guys (usually). Maybe I could make a list of things that when they learn all those things, they get a fat raise. What would be on that list???

How to start the chipper
How/when to use it, without having the chipper running alllllll dayyyyy loooooonnnngggg
How to properly tie things to send up to climbers (pole pruners, chainsaws, other ropes, water bottles)
How to fill and tension a chainsaw
Where everything goes on the truck
How to hook up the chipper
How to tie install and use the portawrap and GRCS
How to move brush

I think that's worth another $3/hr. Wonder what else should be on the list.

it seems like so much comes down to whether the person really wants to be there in the first place. Sometimes I help out a friend of mine that does tree work, mostly mountain maintenance clearing, but also residential. Bunch of new guys there one day, lots of people come and go. He assembled everyone together at his company in the morning in his usual fashion. The first thing he said was, "You guys look like you are going to a funeral". :lol:

MB I'm thinking about taking that document and chopping it up for our crew. There are a lot of things that don't apply to our company, but a lot of it is GOLD.

The mantle of leadership can be heavy. That is just how it is. It's like a perfect golf game, never gonna happen. Crew members will always find a way to do goofy shit.

YES! They sure can...

Hey can you gas those saws, like we did yesterday morning, and every morning for the last year.

Hey, the trees down, the brush is chipped. Maybe you can grab the rake and clean this up?

Exactly... No memory of daily requirements or events.
There are days I have repeated the same answer to the same question 3-4 times in the same day to the same person..

I don't even bother to ask for my climb saw to be gassed or warmed up before I get it in the tree. I gave up. They can deal with my "tude" when I send it back down because it did not start, chain was on backwards or it was out of gas.

We had one guy that I told 4 times in his first 2 days not to drag the tarps. We have one tarp that we've used for 2.5 years and he caused more damage to it in 2 days than our whole crew did in 2.5 years.

That and a couple other reasons combined: he was gone in a week.

So that's a pet peeve: not following directions. Being told 2x is enough. Once is great. Twice is reasonable. 4 times in 2 days? Peace out.

love
nick

Exactly.
I thought there was a lot of unemployment in the US.
Here we have LOTS of hopeful youngsters who ant this kind of work, when we take on new apprntices we can literally pick from 50 applican't and I get at least one call/email a week from people asking for an apprenticeship.

One guy on the regular crane crew is not very good at telling jokes, but he laughs well enough at ours so he gets forgiven.

I hate new guys on the crew that my 120 pound wife out works what is that

Exactly.
I thought there was a lot of unemployment in the US.
Here we have LOTS of hopeful youngsters who ant this kind of work, when we take on new apprntices we can literally pick from 50 applican't and I get at least one call/email a week from people asking for an apprenticeship.

There is a reasonable amount of unemployment. The problem is, just because they are unemployed doesn't mean they want to work. The system here isn't working very well. Besides, most youngens I run into have a different definition of "work" than I do.

Back