Greatest frustration with running a crew or otherwise

I feel the same way especially since I really looked up to this Jerk off as a mentor and teacher even put up with countless short comings I think hes sore That Im starting my own service but that's no excuse to talk shit and lie he taught me to climb , and then told my wife I never climbed a day for him but in reality I climbed for him for two years , I have even had the chance to take his contracts from him a few times because of the people I know run the properties That hired him but I didn't do it out of respect you better belive Im gonna under bid him now and he even had the nerve after talking shit 5 min after to try and sell me his old chipper the nerve, hes getting close to having that talk with me that don't involve any talking

Says the 5 foot 2" climber.
That one really made me laugh, Fi:lol:

Oi, Oi, you shorted me an inch and three quarters!! 8)

I used to teach in the applied science and technology dept. of the college in bermuda...I am SO, SO tired of people saying, 'well, you aren't academically inclined, so what about going into the trades.' The college president (now retired) once questioned why we needed our student to have a physics course...O-M-G!!!
The fact is that people who are skilled tradesmen often just have different learning styles, and inevitably the cookie-cutter, one size fits all mode of classroom based schooling of most high schools does not engage them and turn on their learning modes. Get them later, usually disillusioned and switched off learning...find that switch and BAM...out come the entrepreneurs, the small business start-ups, the talented sought after HIGHLY paid tradesmen who keep society working, clean, safe and progressive!

Wee bit of a bug a boo of mine if you can't tell.

Oi, Oi, you shorted me an inch and three quarters!! 8)

I used to teach in the applied science and technology dept. of the college in bermuda...I am SO, SO tired of people saying, 'well, you aren't academically inclined, so what about going into the trades.' The college president (now retired) once questioned why we needed our student to have a physics course...O-M-G!!!
The fact is that people who are skilled tradesmen often just have different learning styles, and inevitably the cookie-cutter, one size fits all mode of classroom based schooling of most high schools does not engage them and turn on their learning modes. Get them later, usually disillusioned and switched off learning...find that switch and BAM...out come the entrepreneurs, the small business start-ups, the talented sought after HIGHLY paid tradesmen who keep society working, clean, safe and progressive!

Wee bit of a bug a boo of mine if you can't tell.

Sounds like you should be running apprentices like I do, Fi.
I've found that switch countless times and it is so rewarding.

Yes Stig...I really like teaching, but moving to a new country takes time to get tooled up to their requirements, it's in the plan though.

Raj...I have a thing for words...we all have our quirks and foibles! :) ...along with being a girl who thinks hanging from trees with dangerous cutting implements is fun...8)

Yes Stig...I really like teaching, but moving to a new country takes time to get tooled up to their requirements, it's in the plan though.

Raj...I have a thing for words...we all have our quirks and foibles! :) ...along with being a girl who thinks hanging from trees with dangerous cutting implements is fun...8)

Fair enough!

girl who thinks hanging from trees with dangerous cutting implements is fun...8)

A petite girl too, not one of those super beefed up macho chicks that will drive their high heels through the floor, like you see at Gold's Gym. Nothing really against them though. :D

Boot camp made me grow up.

Best decision I ever made! Some serious work ethic came out of that.
On that note; anyone of u ever think about contacting your local recruiters office or nearby reserve station to see if any of their guys need work? Hardworking outdoors types and ud be suprised how many of them may be looking for a good job which sometimes is the reason they joined in the first place.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good idea, Joe. A lot of training to work in a team, following instructions, being held accountable, I'd imagine.

Thanks! In my ongoing quest for arbo-knowledge I came across it a while back and saw u over on AS so I thought I'd check it out. Glad I found it, seems like a good site u have going here

When I hear the " I thought thats what I was suppose to do"
Usually means lil thinking was really done and its gonna cost us or
them and hopefully without serious injury.

You guys ever have a problem with a worker that is too intense? It's like gung-ho from the start and he works in a kind of frenzy until the last minute of the day. I don't want to say that it is so much a problem, but just a bit too much sometimes. I sometimes work with a guy like that, an older dude too. He says he never gets tired either. A bit crazy, wish I could loan him out to you for awhile. I'd ask you to wear him out a little before sending back.

Ha! I have a guy I use occasionally that's just like that! He's crazy yelling all the time drinking energy drinks and eats candy for lunch. But he works very hard and doesn't stop. He knows the trade well tho having been brought up working for his fathers tree service he's just a little rough around the edges. It can be a bit much but sometimes it can be a compliment cuz I'm naturally pretty calm and level.

I doesn't make much difference what line of work you are in you have the same problems .

When I worked out of IBEW hall most times I was either foreman GF or field super .Often times ram rodding upwards of 100 people .I figured on crews of ten if I had one decent foreman and 3 or 4 decent journeyman it would work out .The others would fall in place .Usually that idea worked .

I don't think in all that time of about 20 years I ever fired more than a half a dozen people although a few pulled the pin because they knew I would .You can put up with stupid but not some lazy drunken SOB that only wants to work three days a week .

Back