Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How is an 038 Mag

Treehouser Sponsor SouthSoundTree's Avatar

Default How is an 038 Mag

I recall Al has a runner, but probably modded?????

How is the stock 038 ?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/grd/4176556803.html

I'm trying to find another saw smaller than a 046. I have a 361 which is a good in-tree saw, which I like to be kept razor sharp, which doesn't happen when its used on the ground. Something similar in size to the 361 might be good.

Other recommendations??
    --Sean--

One of my favorite saws. We ran them in the last part of the 80's on the Hotshots. Bigger than a 361, good torque, nice bucking saw runs a 28" fine. If thats in good shape it is worth throwing some money into and have a strong runner for the ground.

I have fond memories of my 038's, bought my first 61cc 038AV in 1980, the Super 67cc a few yrs later then the Magnum 72cc after that. When the 064 came out in 1986 I retired the 038 Magnum. They were basically both the same weight.... one 72cc, one 85cc. Then in the fall of '88 the 044 was born.
    The 038 Magnum was a good solid torqy saw, the standard 038 and Super were a little more compact with good power, especially the Super and SuperII [the bridge to the Magnum]

Treehouser Sponsor SouthSoundTree's Avatar

Thanks.

what about an 038 Super?

The mag is 15 miles from me.

Just saw an 038 super on CL but its considerably farther.
    --Sean--

TreeHouser Sponsor woodworkingboy's Avatar

An older guy fairly regularly leaves his 038 Mag with me for some reason or another. He doesn't much maintain his saws. Sometimes I might have it for months, and will use it on jobs freely. I like the model a lot. if you don't mind the weight, the power is very good and like the other saws in that series, is very reliable. I am always a bit sad when he picks it up if he has a larger tree to cut, and know that it will come back filthy. Definitely an oldie but goody. I have also had a regular 038 until it burned up. i really like the mag, the way it works and the way it looks.
    Bright days and dark days are both expressions of the great mystery. ~ Oglala Sioux

The difference between a mag and an av is noticable .I've only seen maybe two supers in my life and never ran one so I can't comment .

As far as cranking more soup if you wanted to they respond very well .My av will run with a stock mag and the mag will hold it's own with a stock 660 .Now a good old old school 066 it won't before they "improved " them .

The 038 is one of the easiest Stihls to work on so easy to maintain. If you do buy one stock up on OEM parts for it while their still available from Stihl, that way when your old and grey you can keep that classic saw running.doing what you like doing best.

THE CALM ONE!!!! Sponsor squisher's Avatar

I have a 038 mag. Mint. It's my only collector saw. I bought it from Bryan on a treehouse auction. I run it only a couple times a year and only in fir. It looks almost new. No scratches barely at all. It's jammy.

Actually my hot runner came from B also .It was really a low hour saw somebody rough housed and was given to B .Every anti vib was broken the boot torn and the intake side of the piston scuffed from dust ingestion .It's a miracle it didn't get fried .

At first all I did was buff the piston ,new set of rings plus the anti vibes and ran it stock about 6 months before I got to tweeking it .It ran just dandy before I fiddled with it ,scuffed piston or not .They don't have to be perfect to run good .

I've said many a time the 038 Mag is my favorite of all the Stihls .

Before I forget now the other 038 Mag I own .This thing spent over twenty hard years in service to a tree service company .I baby sat that thing for about 10 years before it was retired and given to me .The first encounter it literally grenaded a piston .I mean blew it apart like a bomb went off .Never as much as put a scratch on the cylinder .JJ sent me an NOS piston ,one new crankshaft bearing and in about two weeks it was back on the job . Ran without a hitch every day for another 5 years .Then it was incidental things and even after I got it every so often it was borrowed as a back up saw and never as once layed down on the job .Now these are tough well made saws .

It will get the "treatment " one of these days when I find the time .