Rivets

Since you seem set on going with the OEM stuff, and you'll probably never use that tool again just drop by a few aluminum body shops or even ring round. Someone will have the tool and I'm sure they'd pop the rivets for you for a 6 pack of beer. Might make yourself a useful contact also. Otherwise if you want to buy then the concertina style rivet gun as above is far superior to the kind you posted earlier which is really only good for 3/16. I've got both and also a pneumatic one around somewhere. The pneumatic one doesn't have the guts of the concertina but it's real quick.

Self tapping screws.
I used them to screw down poly sheet to the bed of pickup to use
with LoadHandler. Just drive em in and its clean looking,
You can buy just a few and see.

Use fatter screws. I've drilled pilot holes for self tapping screws before in thicker metal. As long as the screw is wider than the pilot hole it works fine.

They do fine Nick, better than an aluminum rivet and all you need is a screw gun that you will use more than a rivet gun

This is another one of those things there's a zillion ways to repair .They make spring loaded captive nut clips that will slip right over the holes .For a couple of bucks you can buy a whole box full --McMaster -Carr .Order them 7 and 24 ,delivery about two days more or less .I order from Cleveland which is the closest warehouse .If I call like right now I'd have them in the mid day next day .

Self-tapping screws, and if you're concerned about the rattlin' around mix up a little two-part epoxy and slam 'em home with a coating of that... end of issue until you back into another pile of mulch ;)
... oh, and fix the door clips up with actual locking latches instead of those rubber slip-on/off hold-downs... then you can run down the road with the door open and held securely to the side of the truck when you have an extra-long log hanging out the back...

Nick,

No rivets, no welding, no sheet metal screws. Small amount of drilling might be the best solution. If the holes in there are already 1/4", why not just get a 1/4" drill bit and drill all the way through to the other side. Then go out an buy 1/4" nuts, threaded bolts, washers, and lock washers. Bolt the whole thing together and call it a day.

Back