The MS150 Has Arrived

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Damn.......that's a bad sign. :(
It sounds like the 150 was tuned waaaayyyyyyyy too fat though.

Randy, the MS150 needs more torque, so modify it good.:D
Here's a video from some arbs over in Europe playing with the MS150 up against Husqvarna's new battery powered T536XP saw.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGFNCap2ckg

I don't think a torque build will help out this saw. With that small displacement you are fighting a battle you cant win. What I think it needs is a very un-aggressive chain and a lot of revs to pull it along. Think thin chips and fast chain speed. As soon as you get over aggressive with the rakers you are going to bog.

I think the approach necessary is like a limited displacement car, deep gears and lots of rpm.

Though I know this saw's power can be improved, to me it feels appropriate for the size of the motor. I think there is something else going on around the sprocket. I was burying the bar in some wet Siberian Elm yesterday and when cutting with the bottom of the bar and using the dogs, it would start bogging way to soon but not from lack of power. The chain was clogging and binding. It needed to be pulled across the bark in order to get it spinning again. But like I said earlier, if I used the top of the bar, I could push hard on the cut, even with the bar buried and it cut great, no binding of the chain.

It looks like the chain and bar are cleaning better with the fling off from the bar tip than it can around the sprocket.

David

I don't think a torque build will help out this saw. With that small displacement you are fighting a battle you cant win. What I think it needs is a very un-aggressive chain and a lot of revs to pull it along. Think thin chips and fast chain speed. As soon as you get over aggressive with the rakers you are going to bog.

I think the approach necessary is like a limited displacement car, deep gears and lots of rpm.

Rpm is a factor of engine design rather than port timing numbers. Without even peeking under the covers I can tell you that this saw is capable of spinning very fast. What I will do is look for ways to let it breathe better, and if possible add more compression.

Though I know this saw's power can be improved, to me it feels appropriate for the size of the motor. I think there is something else going on around the sprocket. I was burying the bar in some wet Siberian Elm yesterday and when cutting with the bottom of the bar and using the dogs, it would start bogging way to soon but not from lack of power. The chain was clogging and binding. It needed to be pulled across the bark in order to get it spinning again. But like I said earlier, if I used the top of the bar, I could push hard on the cut, even with the bar buried and it cut great, no binding of the chain.

It looks like the chain and bar are cleaning better with the fling off from the bar tip than it can around the sprocket.

David

That's the sort of info we need......I'll be looking into that.

David

Wet Siberian Elm will stop damn near any saw out there unless you've got full skip chain on it.....

Ed

Wet Siberian Elm will stop damn near any saw out there unless you've got full skip chain on it.....
Ed

True, but this is something that is happening on a regular basis with this saw no matter what wood is being cut.

David

Sorry about being slack on this thing. We used the little saw in some hard stuff a few days back.......broke two teeth off the chain. I can't find the little BS chain anywhere.

Not feeling it for the little bugger right this second....

Stihl Dealer in Cookeville nor Jamestown carries it. I wish I could just order Stihl parts like I can Huskys.....

I never have any trouble with 1/4 pitch either. This is .043 gauge mini picco.
Coincidently I just got a flyer from Baileys today .They have .043 mini pico on sale 12 inch loop 8.99 ,14 for 9.99.If you aren't set you need to run Stihl chain this stuff cuts better .Fact I have a 12" loop I ran on one of the 200Ts' for a while .

Al was referring to the 3/8 .043 gauge Picco. The only 1/4 pitch chain Baileys sells is for carvers, I have a 25' roll of Stihl 1/4 and find its the best 1/4 chain.
You may want to try the chisel 3/8 Picco 63PS now that you have the 150 modded. I have a loop of it , just haven't tried it out yet::oops:

I think that going to 63PS may be exactly what we should do......

It's not modded yet though. We mucked up the chain before we made a baseline video. :(

WIllard, why do you say the Bailey's quarter pitch is for carvers? I think that is mainly who they are marketing to, but it is not safety chain (they might have some that is) and is just like the standard here that comes on some small saws, not for carving. I bought a bunch of loops for the Zenoah, but had to order a different dl count from the pre-made loops they sell. Is there something particular about chain for carving that is different? Looks the same as regular chain to my eye.

So it's 1/4" instead of 3/8" lo pro ? If that's the case it might not be a bad idea to either hang a 50 thou or even a 43 thou 020 bar on it if it will fit .If you went with 50 thou at least you could run super pico whatever number that is which is chisel .

I know on a 200T that stuff really pulls some chips .I think they should have had that stuff years ago just like Oregon did in the mid 70's with 1/4" .

The 150 is so new to the market, your pretty limited in finding parts... like a bar made to take 50, I think it's only available in .043.

Back