The MS150 Has Arrived

it's like watch repair.
or knife sharpening
or saw sharpening.

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
Abraham Lincoln

150 is precision.

Stihl makes a file guide specifically for the tiny files that are used on this mini 1/4" chain. I definitely get these little teeth sharpest when I use the guide. Without the guide it's very easy for the file to dig too low on the tooth and create a big hook that cuts like crap. I have 8 different saws that I run the .043 1/4" on......so I sharpen this chain A LOT!:). Very light strokes, barely apply any pressure.

Great input all around. Y'all are helping many an arb with these little tips.

Bermy...I had the same operator issue with my new to me 064, back 5 or 6 years ago when I acquired it. The darn on/run/choke switch was not in sync with all the newer Stihl's I'd run or owned. A tiny little difference in toggle position made all the difference. Of course, a new plug never hurts any chainsaw either :).

Now you can run it like you stole it :D.

Again :D

Thanks B...the little bugger is working fine now.
I've been back three weeks, so far used the 150 on every job, broke out the 200 for a few cuts on an Aleppo Pine, and the 260 and 361 have not even been gassed up yet.

Hey Bermy what was wrong with the "one five O"

glad u got it up and going ;)

Old plug..and maybe I had joggled the choke lever partly closed.
It was lagging badly then would clear...weird.
Working a treat now :)

just curious.. shouldn't one get it threw the 10(whatever) breakin tanks before modding anything?

that would be my 1st instinct with a new saw anyway.

Just wanted to post this for whoever has a bit of difficulty sharpening these tiny 1/4" .043 chains. I find them a bit of a bugger to get just right. I just found that stihl makes a 2 in 1 file specifically for these chains....just found one on eBay and ordered it. Should help keep angles perfect, file at the correct height on tooth and keep depth gauges proper....its worth a shot anyway as I run this chain on 6 different saws. I've had 2 in 1 file guides for several years for more common chain types, but I think this is something they recently released( because I emailed stihl about a year ago and they replied that the only guide available for these tiny chains was just the simple file guide)

I'll chime back in after I get it and use it a bit

No problem. Part number for ordering from a Stihl dealer is 5605 750 4306

I snagged the only one that was on eBay:)

It has been on the market here for at least 3 years.
I did a chainsaw course for a bunch of woodturners 3 years ago and turned them on to this ( Along with a special price from my dealer).
Best thing out there if you can't file free hand IMO.

Good to see they finally got the 1/4" ones too.

Those 2 in 1 file guides are made by Pferd for stihl.

http://www.pferdusa.com/products/201b/201b01/index.html

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/accessories/filing-tools/2in1file/

cs_x.jpg

I have to run the chain way way loose on my 150 otherwise it seems to jam up. Has anyone else had similar? Mine has prolly only run around 6 tanks so far
Yes, that's a lack of chain oil. Mine has drunk a lot more tanks and this oiling problem comes often. I use canola oil in it, I can't say about the mineral oil.
It seems that this little beast has some hard time to manage the saw dust / chips, like her sister 200T, especially on flat position. A lot of the chips aren't thrown away at the bottom but are send under the clutch cover and come out at the front. A lot of build up in there. With all the dust flowing around the chain, the oiling hole in the bar clogs easily.
You have to run the saw at WOT, out of the wood (I hate that), for a few seconds in order to increase the oil flow /pressure. The saw makes a "burp" and throws away the dust plug. You can see the splash in front of the bar's nose, and hear it with the engine revving up with the chain freed by the incoming oil.

Keep a close look to that and this nice small saw will work well (and hard).

Despite that, the oiling is pretty good and the pump doesn't starve the chain like the "ecologic" oiler on the bigger saws.

I just had a run of my 150 not oiling at all. I emptied the oil tank and rinsed it out with gas, that seemed to fix the problem.

Back