The MS150 Has Arrived

Me too. I love it.
Except when this stupid dampening spring brakes in the recoil starter. The ratchet becomes properly disconnected from the starter pulley, as this one is actually in two parts:X

Anyone try the echo 2511T yet? Specs out lighter and more hp then 150 with little more cc.

MS 150 T C-E Specifications - Professional In-Tree Use Only
DISPLACEMENT 23.6 cc (1.44 cu. in.)
ENGINE POWER 1.0 kW (1.34 bhp)
POWERHEAD WEIGHT 2.6 kg (5.7 lbs)

CS-2511TES
Engine displacement (cm3)
Output (kW / ps)
1.10 / 1.50
Dry weight (kg)
2.3 = 5.07063lbs

es.jpg

Yep the echo uses 3/8LP picco which is a good thing IMO

One of the things that I really like about the MS 150 is the ultra smooth and clean cutting micro chain that it uses.

That echo looks like a little ripper, and at $200 less than a ms150. Too bad they aren't selling with a 10" bar in the states.
For all you 150 guys, is there a decent 1/4p chain out there?

I haven't run anything but Stihl chain for years after getting tired of crappy chain made by Oregon and sold under various brand names. Nothing else even comes close. The Stihl 1/4" pitch chain is pretty good and quite sharp out of the box. Filing takes a little practice but I've got mine to hold an edge and cut well all the way back to the wear markers.

Ditto.

I don't have any problem sharpening that wee chain. Apart from in the early days when I found if you breath out on a file stroke, the file snapped. :)

One of the things that I really like about the MS 150 is the ultra smooth and clean cutting micro chain that it uses.
With the benefit of a very low kickback tendency, from the micro chain and the tiny nose.

I don't have broken a file, yet. Maybe if I sneeze...

Stay with the Stihl 1/4" picco chain...at least you don't have to pay $40 a loop in the US!!
Quality.

I'm just saying that Stihl chain is better than any other kind of chain.

I'm just saying that Stihl chain is better than any other kind of chain.

Agreed. I gave up on other brands many years ago. They are all made by Oregon anyway, except the really cheap stuff like the Chinese crap Bailey's sells. I don't have time to mess with crappy, discount chain. I get a month or more out of a chain on a top handle saw, no need to pinch pennies and save a couple dollars per loop for chain that only lasts half as long.

I loved my little MS150 for the year or so that I had it... until one of my guys left it on the chipper feed table as they drove back to the shop. :cry:

Blocking down a half rotten ash the other day, using the 150 to cut some of it....it stopped oiling. It happened to my other 150 before too.
I cleaned it out on the job, power head and bar, but that didn't solve it. Had to use the 200...forgot how heavy that sucker is!
Got home, drained the oil tank, half filled it with gas, gave it a shake and poured it out...quite a lot of crud came out, repeat, then filled it with oil again and ran it without the bar. I could see the runny, gassy oil start to bubble through, then run normal, bar and chain back on and all was good.
Whew.

b97Y1xK.gif

I know what they cost new. But taking one in trade and wonder if I allowed to much on trade in. Any of you guys bought used ones?

Said it has had the crack in the brake handle forever and never grew or had any problems with it.

Owner said he only used for pruning and the 200T does the rest.

I really wanted a 2511T but a trade in is a trade in and we both get what we want with no money exchanging hands.

If the little 1/4" chain just isnt for me. I probably will sell it for what I have invested in it.

s150txx.jpg s150tx.jpg s150tzz.jpg s150tz.jpg

The old bar is cooked from the inexplicable, occasional oiler blockage. About half of the MS150s I have bought have experienced it and it is highly irritating. If you pull the bar off and hit the oiler outlet with an air nozzle it works instantly but you never know for how long. Rinsing the oil tank out with premix usually fixes it but it takes a week of running it to know if you fixed it or not.

Good info.

What kind of prices was you getting runners for used?

I ask the past owner about the bar having no paint and the oiler working or not at times. He said the oiler works great and that he removes the paint from his bars once they start showing paint wear. Said he does this on all his bars.

Past owner said he had already done the muffler mod on the stihl 150 T. I made a few cuts with the 12" bar in 5"-6" ash and the 1/4" did what I was expecting it to NOT do. So that is fine now with me. Smooth and pretty dang quick. :thumbup:

s150tvvvv.jpg s150tvv.jpg s150tvvv.jpg s150tv.jpg

Back