The MS150 Has Arrived

mastermind7864

Treehouser
Henry & Randy of weedeaterman.com have supplied this brand spanking new MS150 for us to dig around in and share with you guys here at The Treehouse. ;)

We plan to do some mild mods to the saw, along with videos, pictures, and commentary.

You guys are the experts in your field.......it's your thoughts that we need. For example, is a screened exhaust mandatory for you? How about noise......is a modded saw too loud for you to be happy with?

This saw is light in my mind.......but by your standards it my be an underpowered, overweight pig.

One other thing........what size wood should I use for testing this saw? It's 24cc. I was thinking an 8" piece of poplar, but would love to hear your thoughts.

Here's a few pics. Remember please, we do about 200 working saws a year. This saw will have to be worked in with the others that are here to be modified and repaired. There will be days when we won't have anything new to add.

Alrighty. Sounds like 8 inch poplar would be suitable. A screen is a great option, but I wouldn't call it mandatory for most situations this saw will see. Loud exhaust is a problem long-term for me, for some not at all. I already have hearing damage, many of us do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yep......screen is spark arrestor.

We will let one of you guys buy the saw after we get done with it. This thread is only going to be on The TreeHouse.

I'm thinking sealed bids?

As to the loudness issue...

Just saying you use hearing protection doesn't address the issue. Think of it this way...the very best pro offers db reduction of around 30, some a little better. Many are less, in the mid 20's. And that's for optimal conditions, which are often not really achievable in the field all the time. So if a stock saw produces 100 db, then your ears are getting around 70-80 db. Pretty good protection.

Now, if you tweak that puppy and in so doing it produces 25 more db, then your ears with ppe on are assaulted by the the same level of sound that you'd have without protection running the saw stock. That will damage you over time, I promise.

I'd like to see the testing done in smaller diameter 5-6" hard wood like Hickory. running the cut on the outer half as well.

Sorry Randy, I misread, I thought they gave it to you.

mobile...

He sent it to me at no cost to me, but I plan to sell it and send him the money. Randy is a heck of a guy. I can't tell you how many times he has sent stuff to be tested here.

I'd like to see the testing done in smaller diameter 5-6" hard wood like Hickory. running the cut on the outer half as well.

I can do that.

It gonna rain for a couple of days I hear........I may be a bit before I do anything to it. I want a baseline stock, in a couple of different woods on video before I start tweaking it.

I love my 150, cant wait to see how mods help it out....good thread, thanks Randy!

Henry & Randy of weedeaterman.com have supplied this brand spanking new MS150 for us to dig around in and share with you guys here at The Treehouse. ;)

We plan to do some mild mods to the saw, along with videos, pictures, and commentary.

It would be nice if you could get a YELLOW chain for this saw, green is just ok......

It has a 12" bar. I'm not sure any of the dealers in this area stock chain for this saw.......hell, most of em ain't got spark plugs. :/:

I may be dreaming, but I wish saws were all QUIETER. I have much hearing loss, due to my childhood attempts to do demolition with Chinese firecrackers!!! I had no idea that a percentage of the loss, from loud noises, is PERMANENT.

My dealer stocks chain for the 150.

I had to order some files and a file kit for it....man those files are little!

Back