Range finder

emr

Cheesehead Treehouser
I am thinking about getting a range finder for hunting but I am not sure what to get. Can anyone recommend a decent entry level ranger finder? I have never used one before and I am not sure how much I will actually use it so I dk t want to spend a fortune. I am thinking it might be handy for muzzle loading season.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I have a Nikon that has worked really well. Have had it for the last 4-5 years. Very simple to use. My 8 year old son can use it. I can't remember the actual model but it cost me around 3-400 a few years back. There's lots of options out there. When I bought mine I went to the store to mess around with the different models. Just don't go to cheap

I have two Leupold's. One is rated to 600 yards and one to 1000.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Leup...clsrc=aw.ds&Ntt=leupold+rangefinder&WTz_l=PPC

These specs are for reflective objects and realistic. For trees, rocks (non-shiny and in the sun) and deer, they are good to about 60-70 percent of the rating. They were about $250 and 375 respectively. The glass on the Leupolds is great and I find myself using them to glass as a monocular often. Both are only 6 power, but again, good glass for a LRF. I have family/friends who have skimped and bought Bushnells and another, can't remember which, cheapo for $150ish They're not happy with them. Poor glass and only 40-50% of rating consistently. Buy once cry once.

If you need it for muzzle loader range only the 600 should be more than enough.
my next one will be a Vectronix Terrapin. March or tax return time if the wife will let me.

http://www.scoutbasecamp.com/produc...th-distance-measurement-and-accessories-green
Hope that helps.

Yes you could. Stuff like rangefinders are luxuries. you don't need one to go enjoy the outdoors. But they are nice to own....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looks like $300 should be the starting point as far as price goes. Does the accuracy change depending on the distance of the object? Where I hunt a 100 yard shot is almost unheard of. I would guess that I have never even taken a shot over 100 yds.

I have a Leica, I went with it because it had a red dot rather than Grey. Some lighting situations the Grey is hard to see.

I could never afford to be a hunter.
Keep in mind some people go to extremes over some things .That's their perogative though .

Old country bumpkin like me it was a Carhart jacket with a blaze orange vest as required by law and a model '94 Winchester 30:30 or an Eddystone US model of 1917 with open sights . Once I bagged a deer the rest of my hunting trip was with a camera,Kodak instamatic as I recall .I might add the high country of Colorado is a sight that everybody who has the chance needs to experiance at least once in a life time .I sorely miss those yearly trips.

Yeah ,the average shot in the mountains is under 80 yards .Now you might catch a deer on a mesa,high meadow up near the timber line and get a 300 yard shot but that's pretty rare .

Just as a plain statement of fact with no boasting I could hit a paper plate off hand at 100 yards 9 out of 10 times with the Winchester and 200 yard with the '06 .I've never missed a shot at a deer weather it was rifle ,shotgun or muzzleloader .Then again I never took one that was anything but a certain drop .Could have ,chose not to .Now if I can still do that good or not I seriously doubt.Lot of difference between mid 30's age and mid 60's . Fact I think the last time I used one of those rifles was on a pack of feral dogs,livestock killers but that story is for another time .:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I completely agree with some hunters going totally overboard. One of my good friends is that way. He always has the new gadgets and usually has 3 or 4 of everything. I'm like you Al. I use my regular cold weather clothes and usually my work boots. I have a Marlin 30:30 with a dented scope that my dad gave me when I started hunting. My muzzle loader was a gift from my dad as well. It cost just over $200 and is actually very accurate to 100 yards. I have never shot it farther than that since that would never happen for me in the woods. It's getting so that the most expensive part of hunting for me is the annual license.

On the talk of muzzle loaders it's very surprising how accurate they are and how much punch they have .

I have a replica of the Remington model of 1842 used by the "Zoave" regiments of upstate New York during the cival war I believe .58 cal,540 grain hollow base maxi ball .Reported to have as much kenetic energy as a 30:06 with a 220 soft nose at 100 yards .Good Lawd they lined up in ranks and took pot shots at one another with these things that have enough power to knock a moose down .Believe it or not even with an arc like a morter shell it's very accurate .

Back