SawBuilders! Muster Up!

I've done it both ways. I would think most builders would buy the saw you want, then do their work to it. Cash up front though.

Why don't you run it awhile before having it modded. That way you can say that you are pleased with the difference. i think it can add a bit of enjoyment kicking A with the knowing change in things. Something tells me that break in time might be best done with a stock saw, but I am sure that there are different opinions on that.

I think you should buy a nice new 661 and send it to me to build. Ive always wanted to port a saw but never wanted to mess one of mine up!

I think if you look around you could find a clean one maybe $250-300.About the only thing besides burning up a top that goes wrong with them is bearings and seals which causes them to cook off in the first place .

Those are about 60 bucks OEM and an aftermarket top end kit is about 100 .You might find one with nothing wrong with it .Toms' found several for under 300 with plenty of life left in them .

As far as putting the soup to one Randy has done it ,I've done it several others .I however am not in the business to port other peoples saws .It's a hobby to me not a profession and I don't want to scab out on somebody doing so for a biz .:)

You will save shipping for sure by having the builder buy it and ship it to you. THey might also get a better price (volume) and therefore make more margin on the saw cost, which could decrease the cost of the build (thats how I would run it).

I wouldn't be real concerned about souping up a used saw .Any builder worth a damn would be honest enough or should be to tell you if you have a lemon or not

We will do a bottom end rebuild on any saw we are porting for an additional 50.00 in labor. That means we split the case, ultrasonic tank clean all parts, inspect the main bearings, and crankshaft. If the bearings and crank are in good shape, smooth and un-pitted, with good cages, then we reassemble with just new seals and gaskets. This helps the guy that has bought a used saw and is uncertain about the bottom end.....but wants a ported worksaw.

Now if the bearings are bad, and it's a Stihl, that ups the ante quite a bit. On most Huskys we can use Nachi bearings and still do it for a good price.

I have a 056 that is in much need of an over haul and Id like to see some extras thrown in there big bore kit port n polish but is this saw getting to old to get all the parts for Ive been looking and they links keep sending me stuff for the 660 but I love this saw IT was my first big saw Im looking for someone to do the work for me any feedback I want this thing to run better than new and Ill pay good to have it done:D

Ive been wanting to try a husky but the only two dealers around here are chain stores and they don't service them so I haven't bought one but Ive been hearing really good things

I have a 056 that is in much need of an over haul and Id like to see some extras thrown in there big bore kit port n polish but is this saw getting to old to get all the parts for Ive been looking and they links keep sending me stuff for the 660 but I love this saw IT was my first big saw Im looking for someone to do the work for me any feedback I want this thing to run better than new and Ill pay good to have it done:D

Is it a Super, or Mag II?

I can tell you from doing hundreds of saws that all big bore kits suck........

If you want the old saw fixed up, shoot me an email.

Back