Pulling The Dingo Drive Wheel

CurSedVoyce

California Hillbilly
Well.... Got a seal kit for the drive motor..
Pulled the track...
Got the nut off the wheel...
Started pulling the wheel and I am a cundrum hair close to breaking the push bolt on the puller.
Heated the wheel and tried some PV blaster....
Any suggestions? Tad frustrated ](*,):scratch:

IMG_20131019_135059.jpg

With it tight I would take a piece of 2x4 and a good 3lb hammer and give it a few whacks between the puller arms the shock will usually do it. Good luck

Tapered shaft?
If not I always revert to tighten or push it in to try to break the seal first.

Same idea as tightening a lug nut first then loosen it.

If that doesnn't work I call it an fn pig and give it an hour.
Torch/heat might make it cooperate.
Best of luck

Dumb question, but are you sure that there isn't some kind of locking bolt on the inside, possibly two of them?

Think the motor will be ok taking the hit..? That would be like striking the shaft I would think.

Far better than heat, I would not even consider that as the transfer of heat will ruin any rubber seals/orings have no fear in hitting it in a circular sequences or opposing sides it will come free.
Are you using impact to tighten pulley puller? If not you can go there also.;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ohhhhhhhh K!
We got it.. More heat... Bang bang... PV Blaster... More heat and Bang Bang....
Then I took a steel bar 5 foot long. Rob held it to the wheel from behind and I went on the other side of the dingo and whacked it with an 8lb sledge.. tap tap.. Rob turn wheel, tap tap... It worked. I think I have a FUBAR bearing in the motor (wheel wobbly when we took the track off) and this cause the seal to pretty much melt around the shaft.
This is not good news....
Toro does not show a part number for this bearing in the IPL.. I will probably have to order it from Parker (motor mfg) direct if I can. If I can not get a new bearing.. New motor is almost a grand...

My buddy just replaced a motor on his 222(?). It was $900. I asked if he looked anything up with the MFG, and the answer was no. When I replaced a piston on my Boxer, the MFG was $400 cheaper. Research it best you can before you buy. Good Luck!

Be careful in these situations! I watched a safety movie in the service where two people, in two separate incidences, were killed when the drive sprocket on a crawler popped of the hub unexpectedly.

Stephan, I fought to pull a bearing race off a hub and run into the same problems you encountered. Destroyed one puller and got a bigger one to do the job. Still it didn't work. Heat, cold, pounding and prying. I was standing there thinking I would never get it off when all of a sudden a loud bang happened. The puller and race popped off the hub like a bullet and landed 15 feet away. If I was in the way it would have broke my leg, or legs.

Moral of the story, When working with high tension and pressure forces be most careful.

Be careful in these situations! I watched a safety movie in the service where two people, in two separate incidences, were killed when the drive sprocket on a crawler popped of the hub unexpectedly.

Stephan, I fought to pull a bearing race off a hub and run into the same problems you encountered. Destroyed one puller and got a bigger one to do the job. Still it didn't work. Heat, cold, pounding and prying. I was standing there thinking I would never get it off when all of a sudden a loud bang happened. The puller and race popped off the hub like a bullet and landed 15 feet away. If I was in the way it would have broke my leg, or legs.

Moral of the story, When working with high tension and pressure forces be most careful.

We did just that Jerry.. Safety glasses and once a lot of tension was placed on the wheel hub, left it set with out even being in the same space... Did all the work off to the side as best we could.. Had anything cut loose, it could have broke something.. Not about to stand in front of that much stored energy.

I was standing there thinking I would never get it off when all of a sudden a loud bang happened. The puller and race popped off the hub like a bullet and landed 15 feet away.

That is a crazy story

Not sure who or what Parker is, but maybe you can take the bearing to a bearing supply house and get a replacement.

Built up tension is to be respected, as we all have been slapped around by it. Happy endings to scary stories.

I have found bearing houses to be most helpful and a great way to save money. John Deere wanted $18 for some small sealed bearings. Bearing house-$4. I put them in about 7 years ago. Still good.
JD wanted $235 for a stub axle, not an exact fit either, but it would work with my hub they said. The problem was it was 2 mm smaller in dia.. I found one with hub, bearings, seal, dust cover, and lug bolts for $107. The hub was US made. Shoup Mfg. It was 1/8" bigger in dia. Easier to turn it down to 1.875 than to go the other way. I just got this mess done. Breakdowns make you appreciate when things are going good.

Parker would be the first place to check, much better price than Toro. If you can get the bearing out take it in with you. Even if the part numbers don't cross check or aren't readable they can measure and find one that way

Yeah.. we are going to miss that little Dingo this week while I try and get this all worked out... Looks kinda sad with one track off up on stands. Gonna break into the motor today, go do a consult, swing by my mom's and see my sister, then back on it.. Wednesday and Thursday are NOT going to be any fun with out it.

YUP!
After pulling the motor apart and inspecting the innards.. Survey says, buy a new one right now.
Outer bearing, rollers are falling out..
Next bearing in, you know had to suffer for the play.
Seals and stuff between the two are eaten up pretty good.
Shaft has some rough spots.
So I'll buy a new motor. Put this one back and either find the bearings and take it to the machine shop and get them changed out, or send it out to someone that rebuilds them. If there is such a thing. Might have found a place in MA that does. Some calls this morning will add some knowledge to work with.
You can see why they charge what they do for these things. The machining involved to make this thing in really something else.
Not that I am a machinist mind you. But I sure can appreciate the work.

Sorry for the difficulties with it, Stephan. Its reinforcement to me to go for a much newer piece of equipment, rather than cheaper. I've had my share of getting a hard worked machine to work, and getting it to work again. Growing pains, I figure. A good reminder to maintain, rather than repair from neglect. The latter just screams loud, while the former sits there and looks at you. A reminder that I've got some oil to change, etc.

Good news today... After many calls this AM I found a distributor of the Parker Hydraulic motors that will rebuild this motor faster than they can have one shipped to me from Parker. SO... Plan B.. I will be dropping off the motor in Fresno Friday. It's about 1/2 the price of the new motor for a total rebuild. Happy Happy Happy. Faster turn around. I won't be down but two weeks.
Sean, I got such a good deal on this mini that a wheel motor, tracks and an engine would start to come close to what you are looking to pay.
New.. well.. much more new. New is not always the answer looking at Nick's situation with the chipper.
Oh, I know I will be sinking more money in it over time. But that is just equipment in general.. Like you pointed out, maintenance. It costs. Much less than a fix, but it does cost and is the best practice.
I will be purchasing a new set of tracks for it soon.. I hope to just get a year per set if possible.

I'm with you Sean, but you gotta start somewhere. Upgrade on a schedule. Someday I intend to buy new rigs every so many years rather than buying newer used

Back