Anyone notice that new saws suck?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I honestly don't even care anymore. I am just so sick and tired of buying crap from Stihl and paying a premium for it. It will be refreshing to get screwed buy a different company at a lower price.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Bought this yesterday from Baileys.

I'm not expecting much but I am ready to toss my 192 in the lake. The price was right and I thought I would give it a try. Anyone ever use Tanaka?

You should have put out a wanted thread. :usa2:

I have a 2011 338XPT on the shelf not getting used much. Would have let go for less then half of new one PHO. With new b+c 12" half of new.

Jay, I have no interest in fixing or improving saws whatsoever.
If they don't run well, they go to the dealer/repairshop.
When they get old, I sell them to firewood cutters and buy new ones.
To me they are tools, nothing more.

Sure, Stig, each to their own. I was merely wanting to say that it is a shame that some models of saws stop being produced. Most evident with the MS 200 if you don't want to go very far back in time. There is the current mind set in manufacturing that new models are what bring in sales, getting people to think that they are upgrading to the latest and greatest. In former days, the same old reliability and reputation for it was what people thought was best to build a business upon. People may not have needed to replace their gear so often, but the idea of that is what attracted new customers. That may not have ever applied to chainsaws so much, but to other things like machinery and perhaps automobiles with slight changes in design and inner workings. It seems like now they try to blind you with flash and fancy ad wording about new stuff. I also think that the Ronettes were great and Miley Cyrus is a joke.

I honestly don't even care anymore. I am just so sick and tired of buying crap from Stihl and paying a premium for it. It will be refreshing to get screwed buy a different company at a lower price.

:lol::thumbup:

I quit buying new stihls too. Kind of tired of watching mufflers, dogs, and assorted bolts fall out of the tree while im cutting.

I guess I don't care new saw versus old style. If it starts, runs, and cuts, it comes up the tree. I have old saws that I love to use such as my 288XP Lite, and new saws that I love using like my 562XP. I do have a 361 that is beat to hell that I might overhaul this winter. It sucks compared to my 562XP, but is still a good tool and valuable on the job.

One minute I'm grinnin with Stig running my new reliable, fast , quick starting 372xp. The next I'm with Jay misting over my long gone, old school, hard starting, cranky, powerful, old Macs. This really is a great forum.

Maybe we shouldn't be only blaming the saw manufacturers for questionable equipment. I mean that there is no excuse for supposed good stuff falling apart, but environment regs are kind of like wrestling with one hand tied behind your back. Would Bill"s Macs, the 028, 036, and 038 pass current EPA regs? Doubtful, I think.

Well I have been using my new Tanaka for a week now and it is way better than my Stihl 192 was. I like the fact that it has metal dogs. Everything else is pretty standard and comparable to the 192. The two negatives that I have noticed is that the Tanaka love to suck fuel and the lanyard ring won't accept a biner so I had to add a bow shackle. Besides that, I am very pleased with my purchase. Longevity will be the next question to answer.

The weakness of the saw is mostly the plastic handle components and chain brake. The beauty is, they are reasonably cheap. The down side is they are a PITA to change out. So I buy modular when possibly. The whole assembly in other words. My past experience.. Maybe they toughened the newer ons up... But I doubt it.
Check and see if they restricted the muffler as well. There were a couple plates in it between the exit hole and the can where the spark arrestor is. I removed the plates and got more out of the saw, I just opened one plate up (dremel) on one I am putting back together.. I will let you know how that goes,

Oh! And did they change the exhaust outlet? They used to direct it straight down. Leave on running on the ground and it would start a fire in dry leaves... :lol:
Melts the plastic muffler guard as well in time.

The saw is not here right now but it I believe the exhaust is directed down. Not a big deal to me since it only gets used in the tree.

I know what you are saying about the plastic stuff, but that is exactly how I felt about Stihl.

I was wondering I have a sthil 056 magnum 2 it was running perfect until yesterday , I get it running cut for about ten min then it stalls out and wont start again until I let it sit a bit it cuts fine and all just that stall I think its flooding n I had a little gas in my air filter ,I want to take this saw next week to the dealer and get them to go over the whole saw it's and older saw but I love this thing , and also I was wondering if there is a big bore kit for this saw and where to get it and where to get it installed ,any feed back would be great

Justin , If it cuts fine, stalls out then runs good again after cooling first step is different fuel. Some batches of fuel have lower boil points which , on big hot running metal tanked saws makes vapor lock a common problem. FWIW, premium fuel usually has less tendency to vapor lock. I used to have3 an 056 that did that frequently different fuel always cured it.

I bought a 201t because I had to, it was a pig, hopeless compared to the 200t it replaced, then I heard about drilling a couple of holes in the exhaust, all of a sudden it was fit for purpose huge improvement. Few weeks later I needed another so I bought another 201 and this ones completely different, an absolute gem. Much more power, I can't figure it out, did they listen to the moaning and do something?

The repair I heard for the doggy ones was to go get a new carb put on it and have it re tuned, They had a rash a bad carb issues in the beginning. Just what I heard.

Back