What oil and mixture are you using and why?

I can go through over 2 gallons if I'm using the big saws .That doesn't happen that often though .--thank heavens .

Yeah.. it all depends..
Gone are the 10 plus gallon of mix per week days... Down sized the crew and the weedeating is minimal at best
Our little crew now goes through about 2 - 2.5 gallons per day if we pull out the big guns,,,
About 1-1.5 if we are brushing or if its a average tree.
Pruning.. Probably a quart :lol: or 2 .....
That is just 2-3 of us working.. as one crew.

If I remember correctly back in the early '90s I would burn 4 liters [1 US gal] in a 7-8 hr day while logging with my Stihl 064-18".
No heavy bucking, just falling, limbing and topping small-medium timber.

Hello all. I run 93 oct. with castor oil like klots benoil. Been gone for several months moving and closing on this new house here in Fla. I'm back now all. How is everyone?

Business as usual, brother! Glad to see you back... what was your first name? I can't find it in my notes.

I run 40:1 with whatever is the highest octane they have at the gas station. Only because a saw builder some time back told me to do it that way. Haven't had any troubles yet, but if I'm doing it wrong someone please tell me.

Maximalist, I agree. cheap can be costly..... but I have seen no evidence that Stihl's oil is any better or different than Husqvarna's. ...and Homelite actually has a JASO rating on the bottle which is a higher standard than required in the USA and STihl doesn't show such.

In the US Stihl cannot limit their warranty to the use of their own brand of lubricants.

I wouldn't trust any oil as being better because it is made by a certain manufacturer. You have to break down the saws over time to see wear and carbon deposits, then have something to compare it to. I like a Castrol product because I think it gives better acceleration and I dig the smell. Like Justin, I also look at the JASO rating, C or D being the best.

Stihl doubles the warranty if you buy 6 bottles of their hp oil

mobile...
Pure sales tactic. A lot of stuff out there nowadays they ask if you want to extend the warranty for a few bucks. Basically, that's all that's happening. Six bottles of their oil wont be a deciding factor in the longevity of the saw.

I never had any trouble with the expensive stihl oil. Its surely quality stuff based on all the opinions Ive heard over the years. But I run echo and husky oil primarily and have never worn out rings in a saw. I have had saws with worn rings, but I acquired them that way. I might get shot for saying this, but I think all the major brand 2 stroke oils are fine these days. Lubricants have come a long ways.

There are definite differences in name brand oils, and some of the oil brands have different products that have different ratings. They have really broken down the rating system with the JASO, devised because the Japanese didn't think the rating system in the US was analytically sufficient. Things like degree of lubrication and detergent effectiveness, a bunch of stuff you almost have to be a chemist to understand. Whether the higher rated oils make a difference in saw longevity, I don't have a clue, but it does add to the price for sure.

Are there differences in the big name mix's between countries I wonder. I noted while in my shop today that the box of Stihl premium oil mix says made in Canada on it.

Are there differences in the big name mix's between countries I wonder. I noted while in my shop today that the box of Stihl premium oil mix says made in Canada on it.
Stihl Canada and Stihl USA have 2 different suppliers for the premium if you look close the Canadian Premium should have a Castrol logo on it, as far as I know the full synthetic Ultra is the same batch in both countries.

The Castrol I get here in Japan comes from Malaysia. i don't have a clue what that is about. There is an international race circuit in Malaysia, however.

Oh there are certainly differences in the quality jay. I myself haven't had oil be an issue for me, regardless of brand.

Same here, Chris, with a number of different brands over a lengthy period. Never had anything happen that lead me to think that it is the oil. There probably is a good, better, and best, but good might be good enough.

Back