Shindawa Chainsaws

Steve Mack

Life Member.
New England Region, North NSW. Australia.
Whoops, I forgot something.

shindaiwa_320TS.jpg

http://www.yamabiko-corp.co.jp/shindaiwa-global/?p=2584

Dry Weight 3.4 kg
Displacement 32.3 cc
Output 1.4 kw or 1.9hp
Bar Length 12" / 30 cm

MS200T is 3.5kg with 14' bar and 1.6kw or 2.1hp [Specs seem to vary a bit but I think this is right.]

020_320TS_L.jpg

Shindaiwa...OMG...what next...a new flippy cap or oil thread gonna pop up?!
You lot are showing your hidden AS tendancies, seek treatment NOW!

I'm not sure if this is a serious discussion about Shindaiwa or not, but if it is, have to say that they are some of the most reliable saws that I have ever used. A pro user tool, quite well made really. They are almost too smooth running to be interesting.

I tried out a 680 Shindiawa years back, 68cc 12.5 lbs was a very smooth fast saw with a 18" b/c. Would have bought it but it was winter and it iced up easy, no winter kit available for it.

For some reason, Shindaiwa never seems to get the attention it deserves. I agree with Willard, they are very smooth. Something good has been worked out on them. Haven't used any newer models though.

Shiny makes great stuff! It's built like a fine Swiss watch, really good quality! I used to work on there products, but their best attributes were also their biggest downfall! For the power they made, they were always one of the heaviest saws in the class. But if you wanted a saw built like a tank, it was there!

You never see them selling cheapos in the home centers either, not like some of the biggest names in saw brands....ahem... Pride is a nice thing.

Big companies selling homeowner grade saws in box stores is the best thing they can do for us pros for now. It buys them clean air credits with the EPA and allows them to keep selling big bore "dirty saws".

That is probably only a US thing. Husky sells some junk here, have to wonder why, other than people will buy them. No EPA, no ethanol.

Theres a lot of folks out there that simply want a $179 dollar chainsaw. A few limbs come down in the yard each year or they hve one small fallen tree to clear from their driveway. it makes perfect sense really. They don't need a pro grade tool. Husky and Stihl each have a lineup of shit chainsaws that cost less then a few hundred bucks. The market for those saws is probably bigger then the market for pro saws. Naturally, any smart company will want a slice of that pie. I can go into any local Husky or Stihl dealer, and they'll have some pro saws. But they will always have cheap homeowner saws with plenty more in boxes in storage. Theirs more homeowners in society then tree rats.

Chris, you make a good point. I just happen to think that there are more righteous ways to make a living than putting out poorly designed stuff, even if it satisfies a niche in the market. I have looked over those cheapos pretty good, and the basic premise seems wrong, at least imo. I can't believe that the people that are involved with making those sort of goods very much enjoy their jobs. Of course, people that don't like their jobs but are still willing to do them, satisfies a niche as well.

Simpley stated we live in a throw away society .Take a TV set for example .They are so cheap now hardly any of them get repaired they just get replaced .

This goes from normal consumer goods clear up to industrial high speed machinery used for metal cutting .

Yes, they are poorly designed. The much better designed saws costs much more to produce. That's where we enter pro grade. Some folks are on a budget and simply need an occasional use chainsaw. They don't need one designed for maximum production, top ergonomics, and longevity. In fact they don't want that. They want to buy something that will get the job done here and now and not break the bank. The big saw makers are upfront about the intended use of each model. I don't use those pieces of shit, but truth be told, I started out with one. A Husqvarna 142. I climbed with that for 3 years. It spilled from 35+ feet several times. I used it 5 days a week in the tree. If I remember correctly, the only reason I retired it was I moved onto a better tool. I bet If I found it, I could get it running with no more then a carb rebuild and maybe a fuel line.

From what I seen over the years Japan puts out a high quality product whether it's commercial or consumer grade. Look at the auto and motorcycle industry, even Honda bought 51% of Harley Davidson shares.
Toughest most reliable pickup I ever owned was a little 1975 Mazda, rebadged as a Ford Courier.

Agreed.

I've ported a few of them........I'd much rather work on a 220T. But folks that use em say good things.

As you know, I'm not a heavy user of any saws.....and have too many to use any one of them a hell of a lot.

I try to get solid feedback from the guys that climb.

It'd be nice to hear from more guys that really but some time on them.

Still have not killed that Echo 360t. Keep replacing plastic on it though. I have 2 and both run. I just use one for parts. That way I only have to fix one. :lol:
Looks just like that little red bugger.

Take a company like Ryobi. Is that sold in the states? I know a gardener that uses their saws, and it isn't uncommon to see them having been purchased. I have done some basic repairs on one. I have a couple Ryobi drills and a flashlight that came in a three part rechargeable set. Ryobi is a cheap counterpart to more expensive and higher quality stuff, but it seems better designed, reliable, and user friendly compared to goods made by companies that put out tools aimed at the same market that are a departure from the pro user grade tools that they also make. I wouldn't call Ryobi crap, but it is priced about the same as that which is. I haven't used a lot of Ryobi tools, but it seems to be put out in good conscience without cutting corners to compromise quality so extreme. I dunno, it just seems a more legitimate approach, it is what it is without a cover name possibly wanting to imply that it is something else, but with a cheap price.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow this last batch of beer I made must be strong, I started a thread and don't even remember it.:drunk:

I added a bit to the first post. It looks like a nice little saw, a lot lighter than the 357.

I've had a 357 for ages, used it mainly on palms as they eat Stihls if you don't clean them straight away. It's been a good saw and done some rough work, I keep in the chipper now that I've stopped doing palms and it gets used most days.

chainsaw_shindaiwa_357_19480837.jpg

Theres a lot of folks out there that simply want a $179 dollar chainsaw. A few limbs come down in the yard each year or they hve one small fallen tree to clear from their driveway. it makes perfect sense really. They don't need a pro grade tool. Husky and Stihl each have a lineup of shit chainsaws that cost less then a few hundred bucks. The market for those saws is probably bigger then the market for pro saws. Naturally, any smart company will want a slice of that pie. I can go into any local Husky or Stihl dealer, and they'll have some pro saws. But they will always have cheap homeowner saws with plenty more in boxes in storage. Theirs more homeowners in society then tree rats.

wo wo wo wo buddy $179 is a top shelf saw don't forget the $99 saws

Back