Messed up bearings on chipper: VIDEO

I'd be heated. Really heated. That's bullshit. Take them to small claims court if you have the spare time. Im shocked that Morbark rolls like that.

I would talk to higher ups. Calmly explain the situation and the discussions you have had with other arborists and I would think you might get some better results. They want to sell machines in the future I would think.

Nick,

Since you posted John's extension I took the liberty of calling and talking with him. I told him how to find the thread and advised that he might want to be aware of it and how it has the hackles up of a lot of dedicated tree guys...that a lot of us are more upset about the whole mess than you are.

Our conversation was civil and informatory (not inflammatory:) and he said he was going to check the thread. We'll see where it goes from here.

Hope you don't mind me stepping in...if so, my apologies...guess I finally reached my limit out here on the right coast.

Complete opposite experience than what we've had with them. I think I'll be taking my iPad with this thread too their booth come tcia expo in November and asking what's up with this bs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't mind at all, Gary! I appreciate it, in fact.

Gotta love the support of the tree house!

What do you guys think about this:

When I got the new bearing, I could see it had been greased at the factory. I thought- "great- now I don't have to worry about greasing it for 20-40 more hours :) "

But at installation, the tech greased it again-

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382375001.802758.jpg

The original grease was a blue teal color. You can see the new red grease.

Isn't over greasing a big deal, too?

love
nick

No! You force the grease out of the seals because the seals only normally seal one way .Keeps the dirt out lets the excess grease pass through .

The only case I can think of over greasing a bearing deals with high speed superprecision bearings used in items such as CNC machinery .A chipper is not a precision machine .

Guess you are good for another 40 + hours now. Sigh.
I'll ask the Morbark folks about their chipper bearings / warranty at Expo.

I havent greased my chipper bearings in over 3000 hrs.

good idea to do ot while its all rollin
Hope it all gets sorted out for ya Nick.
Wife always says you get much further with sugar
than you do with vinegar. Its true most of the times

I think so. You are supposed to remove the top half of the cover "every 6 months" and scoop out old grease, put in new grease, there are no zerks with which to grease the bearing. I've never done it. Thinking of having it done soon though. After which the bearing will probably go bad;)

Pleased to see the chipper is back for you to make money with again Nick, and the house's support for him. I do await your post saying it has been resolved as to the warranty and what conversations others have at the expo.
When ready to upgrade my Morbark this thread will linger and be present in my decision, very disheartening to say the least.

Yup. I woulda lost it.

My new Bandit had the oil cooler go under warranty. When I dropped it off at the dealer I told them I was taking a demo. I didn't ask.

When I picked up my chipper and dropped theirs off they tried telling me I had to pay as the motor warranty started when the JD power plant was shipped to bandit and so in fact had expired. I flipped slapped down my original bill if sale on the counter and told them that's when my warranty started on the date I had bought my machine. Told the guy he could sort their shit out between Bandit and JD and I was taking my machine home for free.

Dealers. Great service until the cheques cashed.

I had brought my bill of sale and manual in with me to pick up my chipper because the guy had mumbled something about the repair not being covered when they called me to pick it up. I was on fire when I arrived to put it mildly.

Yup. I woulda lost it.

I told them I was taking a demo. I didn't ask.

I flipped slapped down my original bill if sale on the counter and told them that's when my warranty started on the date I had bought my machine. Told the guy he could sort their shit out between Bandit and JD and I was taking my machine home for free.

I was on fire when I arrived to put it mildly.

THIS.

This is why Nick is getting the hose, and Squishy isn't. You have to be tough with these bastards.

Yes. There comes a point when you don't ask, you tell. The problem might be that Nick has done too much asking and now they know they are in charge. Now, they are probably standing their ground. Next time, walk in and politely explain how things will be handled. Don't ask. Tell. If politely doesn't work, step it up to 20% asshole.

Nick,

I know I'm chiming in here late, but the bearing inner race has an eccentric machined on it. The outer ring where you removed the two setscrews also has an eccentric machined on it. The two are cammed together by rotation which pinches the shaft, then the outer ring is setscrewed in place to prevent it from loosening.

You need to remove the setscrews (which do not dig into the shaft - they grip the extended inner race), then using a pin spanner (correct tool), or a pin punch or screwdriver in one of the unthreaded holes in the outer ring, knock the outer ring in the opposite direction of shaft rotation (if installed correctly). It that doesn't work try the other direction. Once you break it loose, it should come off the bearing and the bearing will now dismount from the shaft.

Cheers,

Tom

Now that is what we need around here, a really expert mechanic. I said what I said earlier about torches and banging needed based on observing and talking to expert experienced mechanics. But the above sounds like a much more civilized approach

Back