Karl Kuemmerling lowering devise

CurSedVoyce

California Hillbilly
Hey Scott (treesmith).. Here are the pics of the KK lowering devise I bought from Dave (thattreeguy) a while back..

No it is NOT for sale. This thing just loves catching wood :)

It goes out every so often to larger TD's

Sorry these pics took so long to get....

Attachments

• IMG_20130928_163536.jpg
    IMG_20130928_163536.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20130928_163552.jpg
    IMG_20130928_163552.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20130924_114627.jpg
    IMG_20130924_114627.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 78
Stephen does the bollard actualy turn to pre tension on that as pictured in your second photo?
First time I have seen that one

The ones I ahave seen do turn, there is a ratchet in it, like a trailer strap and a large pipe that goes in the holes at the end of the barrel. With 1-2 guys turning and one leading the rope I hear you can lift a pretty good amount.

They also sell a non-ratcheting version too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Stephen does the bollard actualy turn to pre tension on that as pictured in your second photo?
First time I have seen that one

Yes.. it is the ratcheting bollard,
Anyway.. this devise works better for pre-tensioning the load rather than lifting. But it can and will lift :D
Heavy bugger though.
I wonder if the X-wheel would work in it like it does the HOBBs.

Here is another view of it on another job...
IMG_20130501_100927.jpg

Then we pulled over this stem that was leaning towards the house and lowered it. Never really lifting it off the ground. We have lifted limbs up from over a roof we had limited clearance on.

Attachments

• IMG_20130502_112537.jpg
    IMG_20130502_112537.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 61
Thanks I see one of those in the near future, the wife hates to set up and pull on the block and tackle;)

Nick thanks for the link also.

interesting that it has the "fairleads" on the bollard. can you pass a knot through that? we ran into a situation a couple of weeks ago rigging down a 200' fir with a 200' rope:|:. the rope angle was straight into the grcs so we were able to run the rope outside the fairleads and pass a knot over the bollard. not ideal, but it worked. that looks like you might be able to do it.

We by pass the fair leads when cranking... It is one of my beefs about it. I might just take them off and use something like pulley rigged to the tree or maybe weld some on the frame. Probably should try and video it some time for some input on that matter.

200' fir?? Sheesh that sounds like work!

200' fir?? Sheesh that sounds like work!

wasnt too bad. the tractor handled all the wood. it was some of the biggest wood i have run the ropes on though! i did the brushing and topping and my partner rigged down the wood on day 2. he had the harder job for sure.

Yes.. it is the ratcheting bollard,
Anyway.. this devise works better for pre-tensioning the load rather than lifting. But it can and will lift :D
Heavy bugger though.
I wonder if the X-wheel would work in it like it does the HOBBs.
Seems one could make a similar device.

Jaime, how tall do trees get down there? What kinda fir
Sounds like a lotta work.

we get a few tall ones. this one was a doug fir. there are quite a few 200+ footers around, redwoods of course, but there are blue gums, doug firs, and there is a patch of ponderosa pines native to the area. we dont work in them (really tall trees) too often, but you are right, it is a lot of work.

Back