Bidding from photos

Man, Bud. That's a lot for easy work. Is cost of living huge up there for you?

Well it certainly isn't cheap living here. The family took me out to breakfast on Father's Day. Two adults one four and one six yr old. $80 with tip. Fuel is at $4.39 and food is about $12/lb

I don't bid off pics and don't plan on it in the near future. Far too many variables. If I was pruning for a living it might be different. Removals, no way. Just to cover all the variables I cant see I'd have to bid myself right out of the park. Not to mention, I want to meet my customer. If they're an asshole, I don't want the work. Like I said, if I was trimming shit 5 days a week, I could see the usefulness. 90 foot removal, in a backyard, basketball net blocking the truck from backing up to it, septic tank on one side of tree, asshole customer that has been through 4 tree services in 4 years, concrete in the tree. You overlook that stuff, you're screwed. Bid in every possible variable out there, and it becomes a $10,000 tree to which you receive and email reply that says "LOL".

As I said I'll use it to ballpark stuff that's in my area but further than I really want to cruise around and look at. Also I thought this was about bidding from photos not just google earth. Pics and a good description of access and obstacles can go a long way to getting it figured in the range of what it's going to be. If something was grossly misrepresented or missed it can be addressed on site.

I've done it a handful of times. Never been burned yet or had to walk upon arrival. Leave it open and give a range on the high side.

https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF...T+SE&ei=S3RlUtKpMOWiigKoooDoCQ&ved=0CC8QxB0wA
9619 VANTAGE TERRACE CT 98513

Co-dom aspen removal.
My guess is two 14" dbh trunks, 65'. The three aspen on the side of the house stay.
septic tanks next to base of tree. Probably front yard drainfield. Likely a spot do drop wood into mulch.

How many man-hours to chip and firewood in place? Complete disposal? How much to grind and dispose?

Dad's done it once or twice, we always come out at the shitty end of the deal, so we learned our lesson real quick. No more of that shit. Like Chris said, way too many variables. For instance, a buddy who gives us a lot of work sent me some pics of a 12" dead maple in a backyard a few days back, looked easy in the pics but I told him I'd have to look at it. Show up, this thing is stone dead leaning over all the utilities with no solid, high TIP, so a huge pain in the ass to remove. Seeing that about doubled the price I would have told him in the photos.

I did a tree once (via pictures and discussion with owner) in trade for a computer...owner told me I could fell it in open area between houses...looked like maybe a $200 job. Drop it and leave.

I could have done that except the neighbor had the race car trailer in the DZ and it could not be moved...power lines nearby, too.

I had driven an hour to the job when all these details were realized. I had to limb, top and then drop spar..took about 3-4 hrs.

HO was retired IBM computer geek...I thought I'd get a new IBM since he had IBM store privileges...my bad for assuming. It was a refurbed unit (by him), worth maybe $200 at most. I got screwed royally. No more picture bidding unless it is for a LOT of money...3-4x what it looks like.

If nothing else I like to meet the customer. If I show up and they are a jerk off, Ive either got to bid that in or walk away.

https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF...T+SE&ei=S3RlUtKpMOWiigKoooDoCQ&ved=0CC8QxB0wA
9619 VANTAGE TERRACE CT 98513

Co-dom aspen removal.
My guess is two 14" dbh trunks, 65'. The three aspen on the side of the house stay.
septic tanks next to base of tree. Probably front yard drainfield. Likely a spot do drop wood into mulch.

How many man-hours to chip and firewood in place? Complete disposal? How much to grind and dispose?

I don't see a stink pipe on the roof in the front so I'd guess the leaching is in back. Notch and watch, chip and firewood in two hrs. $800

I'm undercutting Bud here, $700 and we'll take the co-dom Aspen down and out. I'm flopping the son of a bitch towards the yard, chipping in the truck, I've got an old tractor tire for padding that I'll bring.

Google earth street view... COOL

Shawn,

$350 minimum might be a tad low for that codom flopper. So say $475.00. Would need to run up to set a pull line about both trunks. Pull em over as a unit. Might take 35 minutes including cleanup. Stump grind 200-250 to allow for typical aspen surface roots.

Its 40 miles round trip. West side of the county to the east side. 1:20 roundtrip maybe. My chip truck likes 55 or so. I'm hoping for a drain field, a quick speedline of brush to the chipper, Erik can chip that while I chunk down into the mulch. $800. We will actually be over that way on Friday, so we will visit in person. HO is looking for a septic as-built.

This is from a convo in the How'd It Go thread, but I think it warrants it's own thread...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Have you done it?

I've had lots of clients try to weasel out of scheduling consults by offering to send pics to get ballpark figures. For the first couple years I've been extremely opposed and also slightly offended by the implication that the intricacies of bidding a job can be summarized in a few photos. .... SNIP ...

love
nick

I do it often for single trees that sound like potential 1 hr. to 3 hr. projects. Primarily to keep the bid lower since estimate time should go into a bid if someone is doing business right.

But I also mention to folks that I am totally open to driving by, meeting and estimating too. Their choice.

Better than 9 out of 10 times it works for me. But I also work on small and medium size trees.

Back